wont turn over with electric or kick start, turns over fine by hand

- no, thats the earlier version of the lock washer under the nut that torques down the clutch boss

- oddly, i cant find a listing for the 25-50-2 washer in any of the normal distributors, however you should be able to get this easy enough from a yamaha dealer as they are used in many different models...dt-rd-xs 500/650/1100-sr/xt 500...or go to a fastening store armed with a micrometer and check their parts listing

OD .. 50mm​
ID .. 25mm​
thick .. 2mm​

edit...i guess i should add the yamaha part number too...170-16164-00

Last edited:
Well it took a couple weeks but I finally got that washer from bikebandit. I fitted it and assembled the rest of my clutch. Everything turns freely so I think that may have been the cause of issues. The engine is still on my workbench as I have a plenty of things left to do while I still have it out. I will post when it is finally in the bike and running again.

On a related note, about 1 minute after fitting my clutch I reached for my kick starter to install and found washer on it that looked a lot like the one I was missing and had to buy. This washer was supposed to be on the kick starter but it got me thinking. I dug out the kick starter from donor engine and found 2 identical washers on it. Presumably the mystery of my missing clutch washer is solved now, which makes me feel a little bit better as I usually do a good job of putting everything in labeled zip lock bags. I guess this time I still had the part, but I had it in the wrong bag.

"I usually do a good job of putting everything in labeled zip lock bags. I guess this time I still had the part, but I had it in the wrong bag."

Uh when I get to be perfect, I'll be sure to let everyone know! :shrug:
The point is that you worked through it and found the solution, yes?

Just an update, i got the bike to start and idle today. The clutch was certainly what was preventing the thing from turning over in the first place. I also had incorrectly installed a Boyer ignition system (bad ground). Once those issues were resolved the bike started right up. Thanks all for the help.

Back