worth it?

jsmith1107

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
00L0L_l6SyJSbVrmX_1200x900.jpg
1979 xs650. Rebuilt with a hugh' s handbuilt PMA, pamco ignition, xs750 tank and a 650 tank. Ran 2 years ago. Got a new bike and have no space. Tons of extra parts. Not interested in parting out.

Guy wants $700

+1! If those VM carbies have the right brass and are in decent shape (slides not badly worn, venturis not corroded, etc.) you can get at least $200 for those alone if you want to sell them fast. If the inside of the tank is halfway decent and the left side looks as straight as the right, you have another couple hundred right there. If the seat is as good as it looks in the pic there's money there too. Re. the motor, I'd want to know just why it hasn't run for 2 years and just exactly what was "rebuilt;" that term covers a lot of ground. But even if the motor is FUBAR, there should be enough in a pair of matched cases, matched and matched rebuildable head and rocker box, decent cylinders with unbroken fins (worth something even if they need new liners), to more than cover you. And if the tranny is good too, that's a bonus.

If this one has a clear title or not you can`t go wrong for $700. This would already have been sitting in my garage with no questions asked. This is a money maker!!

Hi jsmith,
$700? Why do you even ask? Why ain't it already in your garage?
And like Scott sez; parting it out would let you break even on the deal (except for the transport cost and the paperwork hassle)
But breaking that pretty bike would be a shame and a sin.
Although there's some details I'd change if it were mine.
My elderly body don't like clip-ons, my aesthetic sense hates wrapped pipes and oh my, one red bar grip?

The Pamco-PMA-Tank & Carbs are $700. Throw the rest away or sell it on this forum or eBait. This is a NO BRAINER. I can`t believe it`s been on CL for 24 hrs and no one has bought it. Too bad it`s over 250 mi (my limit). I bought 2 Specials Saturday for $750 for the pair just to get the Ks titled frames but this is a much better deal. BUY IT!

How many guys here have spare parts to take care of those bars, grips etc. ?
Scott

Hi Scott,
me, for a start.
Well I used my last extra grips a while back but I do have 3 extra 'bars on the shelf.
Each is undamaged and has excellent chrome but I don't really like riding position given by of any of them.
But WTF, $50 spent at your favorite bike shop will buy the 'bars of one's choice and a new pair of grips.
And post #1 said the bike last ran two years ago, it didn't say squat about how old the tires were.

Speedometer, mounted on the frame, under the tank, no big deal to change that. Custom bend on the brake lever.

Scott

Last edited:
Oh yeah, and don't ya just love that rubber brake line wrapped around the fork? There's enough amateurism on display that it wouldn't be unreasonable to hope for a decent motor disabled by trivial problems.

Oh yeah, and don't ya just love that rubber brake line wrapped around the fork? There's enough amateurism on display that it wouldn't be unreasonable to hope for a decent motor disabled by trivial problems.

Those are the bikes that I like to find. Not really humped over but parked for a trivial problem.

Scott

Imagine the "Frenzy" if it were a Standard with spoke wheels rather than a Special??

Ya, a piece of plywood with a chunk of foam on it spanning two bike seats makes an OK bed.

Back