WTF pictures

rickman.png

Old school brass and flux with an oxy acetylene set up on those old frames.

I love brazing...flows like butter when you get it going right. Did a lot of it in High School metal shop classes back in the day.
I did some brazing in metal shop in highschool too. Forgetable results if I remember right. 16 years in a gravel operation got me a pretty good education in stick and wire welding. Hours of surface hardening on "cutting edges" every winter. I think I designed, spec'd, and built 8 or 9 conveyors, each built from channel or angle stock. It was fun laying out the lattice (without any structural analyisis :) ) and pluging the damn thins in and watching them work.

I used to have a house on Lake Lanier and my wife payed a crew to paint the house. The back, downslope side was 2 story with at least another story drop off in slope to the lake. The guys duct taped two 24' extension ladders together to paint the soffit and eaves.

I used to have a house on Lake Lanier and my wife payed a crew to paint the house. The back, downslope side was 2 story with at least another story drop off in slope to the lake. The guys duct taped two 24' extension ladders together to paint the soffit and eaves.

Contractors will generally do whatever they need to in order to get the job done, but not necessarily the safe way. That’s why lately, if I hire a contractor to do work around the house, I make sure they are well insured and I have no liability if someone is hurt. Scary times as now it’s so common to see honest people sued.

I did use a crooked 30 foot extension ladder laying in a valley like that. I restained my house cedar siding 3 time in the 25 years I lived in my old house. It had only one really difficult area. With steep 12/10 pitch there was no "walking" on the roof and ladder was critical. In the poor pics below you can see the one end and soffits were a difficult reach. The first time I restained a really good friend scrambled up the cooked ladder and did the job, The second time, I climbed the crooked ladder crying like a little girl. The third time I rented a man-lift for that little section.
1707846053825.png
1707846092279.png

Back