WTF pictures

Caption read: “Bluetooth headset from the 40’s”

IMG_4190.png

Committed. How to get out of that situation. Hopefully there’s another vehicle there.

View attachment 263016
Got interested in this and watched the attached video. Pretty impressive what they did back then. Also shows the recovery of a similar vehicle falling into a crevasse.

Got interested in this and watched the attached video. Pretty impressive what they did back then. Also shows the recovery of a similar vehicle falling into a crevasse.

If that was interesting also check out one that came up in a link after I watched it:

Interesting thing for me about this one is it's route from where it was built to where it boarded the ship to the south Pole went just five miles from my house. Also the little diner we frequent on Sunday mornings has a black and white picture of it going through the village.

If that was interesting also check out one that came up in a link after I watched it:

Interesting thing for me about this one is it's route from where it was built to where it boarded the ship to the south Pole went just five miles from my house. Also the little diner we frequent on Sunday mornings has a black and white picture of it going through the village.
That was interesting, thx for sharing.

Caption read: “Bluetooth headset from the 40’s”

View attachment 263052
There was a lot of experimenting in the 1930s, the run up to WWII, using listening devices for approaching enemy aircraft. Britain devised radar and had a string of radar stations with enormous masts along the S Coast to warn of German planes coming across the Channel, but in addition I have seen, for example, parabolic concrete placements to focus the sounds with, uhm, listening enhancement devices along similar lines. Ear augmentation?

Just imagine that bloke's demeanour if somebody nearby coughs loudly!

Last edited:

In the Book of Glorious Failures, that's approaching sheer Britishness.

I'm not as brave as "THE Mailman" !

1709854116076.png

"Quad Al 1965"
4 supercharged Allison V-12's 6,840 cid (advertised as 12,000 HP but it's only half that)
I remember her from the Guinness Book of World Records but I never had any idea the tangled story behind her. Jim Lytle had a thing for using aircraft motors for drag racing and he had some success but when it came time to install the linkage he found out it was $5,000 and with his less than $200 a week salary as a draftsman was a no-go and 6 months later he sold it and another one of his creations to part-time Hollywood stuntman Tex Collins who was also into drag racing airplane engined cars and had a business relationship with Carroll Shelby and was producing rocker arms for him as well as acquiring Cal Automotive (founded by Curt Hamilton & Bud Lang) which was the leader in producing fiberglass t-buckets and was going bankrupt. Tex never got her running either and It's just sat around his showroom collecting dust. Then one day Tex would drop off his son at his ex-wife's house and get out of his car to say hi to her husband when two bad guys showed up and started shooting and in an effort to shield his son was shot in the back and killed. His son Frank stated and was adamant that they were not after his dad but his stepdad over a bad business deal. The car has been found and restored but unfortunately very little of the original car was left. There is a lot of automotive racing history behind the characters in this article that is worth reading but be warned a lot of bs. I've done my best to state what I believe to be true. It's a damn shame we never got to see her run.

1709854908064.png

Pennsylvania Railroad's one-and-only Q1 Duplex, 6130, is seen in a train yard somewhere circa 1947. She was made in 1942 as a dual service locomotive with streamlining. The streamlining on the locomotive was removed as she never got over 70 miles an hour, spending more time on freight trains. That and the back-to-front cylinders were a bad idea, for just like the old Baltimore & Ohio Railroad's one-and-only N1 Duplex 5600, these were bolted on next to the ashpan, therefore suffering faster wear, wild wheelspin, overheating, and getting coal dust and firebox ashes all over them. 6130 lasted in service for 7 years from 1942 to 1949, when she was withdrawn from active duty after only running 165,000 miles. She was junked in 1953. 6130's design was revised with smaller drive wheels and all cylinders front-to-back to make the Q2 Duplex in 1944, those engines being very successful and being as powerful as the Union Pacific Railroad's 2nd generation oil turbine locomotives. Just like 5200 the J1 Hudson, 6130's been gone for 70 years. (Info amd image share from Deviant Art and Richard Leonard´s Random Steam Locomotive photography )

I'm not as brave as "THE Mailman" !

View attachment 263371
"Quad Al 1965"
4 supercharged Allison V-12's 6,840 cid (advertised as 12,000 HP but it's only half that)
I remember her from the Guinness Book of World Records but I never had any idea the tangled story behind her. Jim Lytle had a thing for using aircraft motors for drag racing and he had some success but when it came time to install the linkage he found out it was $5,000 and with his less than $200 a week salary as a draftsman was a no-go and 6 months later he sold it and another one of his creations to part-time Hollywood stuntman Tex Collins who was also into drag racing airplane engined cars and had a business relationship with Carroll Shelby and was producing rocker arms for him as well as acquiring Cal Automotive (founded by Curt Hamilton & Bud Lang) which was the leader in producing fiberglass t-buckets and was going bankrupt. Tex never got her running either and It's just sat around his showroom collecting dust. Then one day Tex would drop off his son at his ex-wife's house and get out of his car to say hi to her husband when two bad guys showed up and started shooting and in an effort to shield his son was shot in the back and killed. His son Frank stated and was adamant that they were not after his dad but his stepdad over a bad business deal. The car has been found and restored but unfortunately very little of the original car was left. There is a lot of automotive racing history behind the characters in this article that is worth reading but be warned a lot of bs. I've done my best to state what I believe to be true. It's a damn shame we never got to see her run.
4WD?
https://www.kruzinusa.com/jim-lytles-quad-al-dragster/
1709855276263.jpeg

Back