Wanted - xs 650 front wheel

apsracing

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I am looking for a spoke front wheel or hub for an xs. I really want a 21 inch front so i am thinking i will have to build one so If you have an old hub or wheel lying around i could be interested. Also interested in a complete 21 setup or if you have some way of working an old school 21 inch drum i could be interested in that too. Thanks

How "old school" do you want to go? Drum brake with twin leading shoes? I have a Yamaha R3 (about 1969) TLS front drum brake set up. It uses a 17mm axle and can be used on XS650 forks.

However, it is a lot of work. You'll need to make wheel spacers, a brake stay, and modify the brake panel with a brake stay bolt, and if you want a speedometer, find a early speedometer cable the right length for your bike. As for a rim, you might need to send the hub to a place like Buchanan's and have spokes made and a 21" rim drilled to suit.

Just for an example, I made up a "tribute" XS1 wheel out of one of these brake assemblies by affixing fake cooling hole plugs and lacing it to a 19" rim. Photos below show it on an SR500 (same forks as XS650).

If you want to see photos of the actual brake assembly, let me know and I'll shoot some and post them.

Bill

Attachments

• DSCN7177.jpg
    DSCN7177.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 91
  • DSCN7179.jpg
    DSCN7179.jpg
    161.2 KB · Views: 96
I am looking for a spoke front wheel or hub for an xs. I really want a 21 inch front so i am thinking i will have to build one so If you have an old hub or wheel lying around i could be interested. Also interested in a complete 21 setup or if you have some way of working an old school 21 inch drum i could be interested in that too. Thanks

I have a 21" wheel it has a xs2 hub and brake rotor set up I have it in a set of 78 forks
it may need the spacers adjusted ( I HAVE NOT DONE THIS AS OF YET) 17MM AXLE
Black rim black hub new s/s spokes new tire needs a tube po pinched the tube I think it's a 90/100/21 tire it also has the soeedo drive the rim has some scratches po did mounting tire i gess. $200.00 + shipping. :bike:

Attachments

• bike parts 3 001.jpg
    bike parts 3 001.jpg
    246.1 KB · Views: 71
  • bike parts 3 007.jpg
    bike parts 3 007.jpg
    255.9 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:
the black 21 is more what I am looking for but the cost of dismantling it to repowder the ring is a little too much . thanks though

the black 21 is more what I am looking for but the cost of dismantling it to repowder the ring is a little too much . thanks though

A couple of points on the black 21" wheel:
It doesn't cost a cent to dismantle a spoke wheel; use a small wrench and evenly loosen the spokes. Putting them back together isn't rocket science either and you can find lots of guidance on the www. Or you can get it done for $50-75 by an expert if you don't want to risk it.
Second, $200 is a screaming deal for that wheel. You'd have trouble buying a 21" rim, custom size stainless steel spokes and a new tire for under $300. The hub and brake rotor would be another $50-75. This custom bike building is not cheap.

Bill

Back