1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

XS 650 Racing

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Grimmith, Aug 25, 2019.

1. solo2racr

solo2racr Suck, Squeeze, Bang, Blow

Stay with the stock valve clearance settings. No measurable change is available.

Depending on how involved you want to get, take a look at the BOT and F750 classes. That's where I'm headed (maybe)
    FZXS023.JPG

Grimmith, MaxPete, Signal and 2 others like this.
  2. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

You could use the bikes tail light but a cycle one is smaller and a better idea all round.
    Edit : click to expand the quote to see the rest of the answers I am not trying to fix it so they are out of the quote.

Grimmith and MaxPete like this.
  3. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

This has been my dream ride for along time, have accumulated parts over the years. Could you elaborate on how you mounted the engine.

4. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

If not your using a high lift megacycle cam, I doubt seriously you'd see any effect on tightening up the VL other than gulling the cam lobe from inefficient
    oiling. I'd use the 256 cam or shell 1 cam if rules allow with the recommended L/S
    Try to locate a XS1 head as they had better port casting and where very consistent port to port and had a flatter floor for increasing port velocity, secondly locate virago 750 valves and cut'em down to xs stock dimensions and radius the bottom of E/V. The head designs help with flow and the thicker margins reduce resistance.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
    Grimmith likes this.
  5. solo2racr

Grimmith likes this.
  6. jay760

jay760 XS650 Junkie

Would pay to find out just how stock it has to be, you should be allowed to bore out to maximum oversize on the bores, which would mean you could put the hoos 700cc kit in, also would recommend his ignition kit, stk465 it's an electrix world unit I use them and never had a problem, it means you can get rid of all of the electrics.
    Carbs you should be able to run period slide carbs, and also as said in a previous post the shell #1 cam is about the cheapest cam going also from Hoos,
    There can be a lot of taking the rules to the limits when it comes to classic classes.

Grimmith and gggGary like this.
  7. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

Checked it out,nice work. If you'll angle drop the front motor 6 to 10 degrees in that frame it'll feel more balanced than being top heavy, easier to flick
    it left to right. Drop the side rails, mount an angle finder to the flattest part of the head,use a racket strap to support and lower to the desired angle. Lock it
    then straddle it and flick it side to side and you'll immediately feel the difference in how it handles. You might have to drop the rear again to realign
    D/S axis to pivot axis. You can always reconstruct the side rails if you like the look. Just making a suggestion, not trying to critique your visions or workmanship

gggGary likes this.
  8. solo2racr

I get what you're saying, Jack, with the forward angle change. Moving the C/G farther forward and down a tad. The problem is that to get the frame clearance to do that, I would have to also RAISE the engine. Kinda defeats the purpose.

Unless you are meaning eliminate the lower frame rails all together. In which case, I would have to pass. The XS650 engine design was never meant to be a structural, load bearing member of the frame.

Now back to our regularly scheduled thread..................

9. gggGary

gggGary Stop that! Top Contributor XS650.com Supporter

Well worth a trip to solo's build thread!

10. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

I under stand.You might wanna look at this.
    http://www.xs650.com/threads/mule-frames.296/

11. Mailman

Mailman Hardly a Guru Top Contributor

Well knock me over with a feather! I never knew that the legendary Richard Pollock was once an active member of this forum. What a super creative guy. :thumbsup:

gggGary likes this.
  12. solo2racr

13. gggGary

What year engine is that? I understand the 256 motors were weak there.

14. solo2racr

15. gggGary

Go-with pics.
    cracked mount
    [​IMG]
    Early
    [​IMG]
    later
    [​IMG]
    More of an engineering oopsie than a cradle or not issue but I understand the "not designed for load path" strength issue as being a real one.
    Early frames are known to crack near the rear mounts area when pushed hard also...

TwoManyXS1Bs likes this.
  16. Jack

Jack XS650 Junkie

The cases can be problematic due to weak webbing when pushed beyond their limits not just from stress
    but also pushing the Hp has it limits. The cases I have are "75" and have the reinforced webbing in the critical areas in those pictures. The XS engine has been mounted in a variety of stress loading frames
    and I don't think in a street riding environment will put those case weak points in jeopardy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 2, 2019
  17. solo2racr

18. Grimmith

Grimmith Samurai

Iowa

My race class is nearly 100% stock, Other than removing all un needed lights, and kickstand mounts, and side panels if you choose to not use the stock panels then the only thing really after market allowed in my class is updated performance break shoes and pads, and air filters that meet standards for the class. The 700 or 880 cc bore out is allowed for racing, just a different class. I thought I would race a little bit to get used to it before I go fast lol

19. solo2racr

Just a little food for thought, Grimmith. You may want to also look at the WERA Vintage rule book. You may want to build a bike that will work for both.

20. Signal

Signal XS650 Junkie Top Contributor

Talk to Micheal Morse at Vintage Brake if you need brake parts, he also owns 650 Central.
    http://650central.com/
    Look under links for the Vintage Brake page.

MrBultaco, gggGary and YamadudeXS650C like this.