1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey Facebook people... We've created a group for XS650.com members to connect. Check it out!
    Dismiss Notice

XS 750 Starter Clutch Removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Adam Savage, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Adam Savage

Adam Savage XS650 New Member

USA
    So my starter clutch has recently kicked it. I took off the left side of the crankcase and all the gears appear to be good, the starter motor works fine and everything looks to be in good condition. I took out the starter and the cog that the starter immediately comes into contact with and put them back in after applying a little oil. It worked a little better, but it still fails to turn the engine after a few cranks. A local shop said that if the engine doesn't turn when the starter runs then the clutch is probably shot or near shot, so I went ahead and got myself a "new" one on ebay. However, I can't figure out how to remove the starter clutch. When opened, the starter clutch will move in and out of the engine slightly (about half an inch), but that is all. I have not found any tutorials or videos on it online (for the 750), and from pictures it appears that the XS 750 is rather different from other bikes. I figure that I need to open the right side and remove a c-clip or something, but i want to make sure that is what I need to do before starting that process. If anyone knows of a video or a "step by step" someone has done, that would be great. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Max Midnight

Max Midnight XS650 Addict

This shows how to do it.

gggGary likes this.