XS 750 Starter Clutch Removal

Adam Savage

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
So my starter clutch has recently kicked it. I took off the left side of the crankcase and all the gears appear to be good, the starter motor works fine and everything looks to be in good condition. I took out the starter and the cog that the starter immediately comes into contact with and put them back in after applying a little oil. It worked a little better, but it still fails to turn the engine after a few cranks. A local shop said that if the engine doesn't turn when the starter runs then the clutch is probably shot or near shot, so I went ahead and got myself a "new" one on ebay. However, I can't figure out how to remove the starter clutch. When opened, the starter clutch will move in and out of the engine slightly (about half an inch), but that is all. I have not found any tutorials or videos on it online (for the 750), and from pictures it appears that the XS 750 is rather different from other bikes. I figure that I need to open the right side and remove a c-clip or something, but i want to make sure that is what I need to do before starting that process. If anyone knows of a video or a "step by step" someone has done, that would be great. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Back