XS goes a couple yards, sputters, dies

vorhese

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
1980 XS
Fresh top end job
Everything tightened and valves adjusted.
Custom simplified wiring.

Ran great until head gasket blew. Rebuilt top end. Starts right up in neutral, and revs strong. When I put it in gear I make it a few yards, it sputters, and dies. I thought it might be the clutch so I took that apart, all good. I have the two piece clutch push rod, bearing between pieces and in the worm gear in the cover.

I feel like the clutch is adjusted correctly. I turn it in til it stops, then back 1/8 turn. When I'm in first with clutch in, it's idling. When I feather off it starts sputtering.

Is there possibly a messed up wiring connection that would cause this? Carburetion should be fine since it runs in neutral. Ideas?

Check timing, are you getting enough fuel? We need more brother carbs, ignition system, and exhaust? What all did you for the rebuild?

Posted via Mobile

I should ad I can get going at a good clip in second but it's sputtering the whole time and sounding like holy hell. If I keep the revs high, it doesn't stall.

Can't change timing, 1980 static cdi.
stock carbs, drilled out for air screw, none of this was touched.
stock ignition
B.U.B. exhaust, again ran great before.
I checked for air leaks, none I can find

it idles just fine.

This happens every time I post a help thread, problem solved within 30 minutes. My friend recommended me ride it without the seat. Apparently my weight on the seat was pushing down on the engine kill switch. I've been chasing this for 3 days. I'm a big dummy, merry christmas, where's the tylenol...

Back