XS johns needles....

CDNTX650

XS650 Guru
Reaction score
Has anyone else come across problems with these?

i cannot get the bike to run right at all with them. Followed his instructions to a T, bike is rich with clip in middle position and his letter said do not move the clips from there for the mods i have (which is only pods with stock pipes) Needles dropped one, bike runs, but surges (lean) a bit at 4k and then sometimes breaks up a bit at 6k.

Motor is fresh, floats checked tonite a 22mm and threw the stock needles in and the thing runs fantastic. have a pair of 80 bs34's off of ebay on with replacement plastic floats. Timing is good.

I wonder if it's our altitude....my cb500 was rich in the stock positions for the needles too with airbox and baffled pipes. My KLR needed very little shimmage on the needle. like, paper thin shim to get rid of a 3000 rpm flat spot as where the shim that was reccomended was silly rich too.

Ill give it a bit to make sure the stockers are workin well for me and if anyone wants em ill post em up.

I've made shims from rivit washers, just sand/file then them down to half the space between the notches on the needles, they're usually aluminum, so it's easy.

If the don't end up working for you I will buy the XSJohns needles if you decide to sell them. Either pm me or shoot me an email at rsxs04 at yahoo dot com

Yeah, when I bought his needle kit, it had 3 different thicknesses of shims, color-coded if I remember right. On his advice, I didn't use any of them, but he had me go up one step to 135 main jets and included a short piece of wire to use to "bore" out the pilot jets, I think it was a piece of guitar string.

I bought mine needle kit from xsjohn 4/1/08 installed them some time after that?
81 special, mikes xs1 exhaust. stock air filters with johns air box mod.

The Kit included shims where in a small ziplock bag stapled to the instructions with 3 sizes and 3 of each size.
Spent alot of time trying to get it dialed in this spring and working on the 3800-4200 lean stumble.Still not quite perfect but closer.
I found the middle clip position to rich, and have my clips on the second notch from the Top. I'm at 4500 ft. No shims at the moment. Stock jets except a 140 main Jet, No time to mess with it lately just ride to work and back every day 50miles.
But its running very well.
Note: I am now keeping very good notes of what I have done and when and how its working, and hope to get back on it as fall approaches, notes have Saved lots of backtracking.
I hope some day i will know what I'm doing.

What size piolet jets and main jets do you have in the carbs. Did you measure the spacer some were .132 and some were .122. What are your mixture screws set at.

Johns included shims in my kit are: 0.014, 0.010, 0.007

XS650SH BS34's & xsJohns needles
Jets at:
pilot jet 42.5 Stock
Air Jet 1.35
Main Jet 140
clip at 2nd groove from the top and (checked my notes) with 0.014 shim
mix screw at 2.5

Back