XS1 Rods

BlackRabbit18

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So I got my XS1 running and riding and it sounds great! Brakes, tires, suspension, and turn signals all need to be addressed BUT. Im worried about these rods on the 256 motor that everyone says they like to poke through your cases sometimes. Should I worry about it? Or should I be pulling the motor asap and get later rods installed on the crank?

Thanks and Merry Christmas

If you are going to ride it like you stole it you need newer rods.

I can't help but doubt the fragility of these early engines in street use. I took a swap meet XS2 and absolutely hammered on it for a couple of seasons of vintage road racing. I never went inside that engine. I changed the oil before every race. It was a strong runner. I raced it once at Daytona (two days of practice and racing) and the speedway is considered a vintage bike killer. I'm converting it back into a street bike now. The engine is tired and I hear a faint knock on the right side at times now. In normal street riding I just can't imagine these engines can't rack up many miles without issue. I'm glad I didn't know any better.

Last edited:
I've put several thousand miles on roller small end XS1's with no issues so far. I'm not flogging them but ain't afraid of using the throttle either. Modern oils are a wonder, always sniff your stick after layups. Watch red line, maybe stay a K or so short of it.
If I build a race motor yeah the 20mm small end is a better choice. 22mm is neither a ticking time bomb nor a strong point of the XS650 motor.

Early, early XS1's

1671995323326.png
1671995340478.png

Back