XS1 steering head bearings

Cribby

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Help!

I replaced the original steering head ball bearings with new taper roller bearings and now when I put top bracket back on, the headlight ears are slightly loose

I’ve checked and double checked and all seems ok but it’s still loose

Any ideas please?

Thanks

I believe that the taper roller bearings are slightly taller than the ball races - hence the loose headlamp ears.
You'll probably have to introduce some packing washers somewhere.
Please keep us informed' as I have to do the same thing to my XS1B in a few weeks time.

Hmm did tapereds on a 70 a couple months ago, all good, snug.
It's a bit convoluted, have to loosen lower triples, snug down caps recheck stem nut then retighten lower triples.
maybe takes more than one round?
Got another 70 on the lift now with new tapereds but haven't got the ears back from mr paint yet. (soon)

How tight do you tighten the stem nut
The $64,000 question, right? On tapers usually quite tight, then back off till the forks turn "without excessive effort".
The rubbers go in the lower chrome collar from the bottom with the larger section down, #18 in the diagram.
Yours that way?

1663193083542.png

1663194523022.png

KIMG2169.JPG

Last edited:
I fitted the Stantions and then screwed the bottom legs on, sound about right?
Well kinda these forks are bit of a roundy round on assembly right?
cuz you can't place the caps till after the lowers are on then tighten the caps using the lower clamps to stop the tubes from turning, then loosen those lower clamp bolts again to snug/set the bearings, retighten.
Kinda the only way I thought it can be done.

On my 72s I had to add a 0-ring between the chrome cap and the top tree.
1663194112516.png

My ‘76 was a little closer and everything worked but on the ‘75 I noticed I’m going to need some o-rings on the top of the ears. The bearing stopped on the lower lip of the neck and there’s no more slack to be taken up. Although they are a little different I’ve noticed the bearing sets are a tad taller on the neck.

Thanks for all your replies

I fitted, refitted and tried again but no joy, so I resorted to to cleaning the originals, regressing the balls and shoved them back in, hey presto it all worked a treat!

I measured the thickness of the original ball set up against the thickness of the tapered bearings and there was hardly any difference so I’m at a complete loss?

Ant

Back