XS1B front wheel alignment

xs1b

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So I just did the fork seals on my XS1B and after tightening the wheel I noticed it seems to be sitting off to the drum plate side more than it should (not running directly under fender). I have to say I have had the wheel off a few times before for other reasons and when tightening things back up I tightened the pinch bolt prematurely before tightening the castle nut which can cause stress on lower fork leg I would think. This time I tightened the castle nut to spec, compressed the forks a couple times and then tightened the pinch bolt. I'm afraid the bike will dog track now that the wheel appears to be off to the left side of the bike. Looking in the manual I see no signs of a spacer or washer between the drum plate and the fork. Any xs1b owners out there ever experiance this?
15891268688916871479468061007398.jpg

You might want to do this.

That's a great idea just not sure how I would go about doing this on my bike as the forks dont fasten the same way. I guess I could maybe try losening the top bolt and using my strap wrench on the fork tube. Thanks

My XS1B front wheel is offset in exactly the same way. Pretty inconclusive sampling. Input from other XS1/XS1B owners is called for.

I didn't really look at offsets, but did shoot both sides of 3) XS1B front wheels.
Each bike LH then RH
20200510_182410.jpg 20200510_182424.jpg

20200510_182454.jpg 20200510_182443.jpg

20200510_182558.jpg 20200510_182546.jpg
see if that helps see what's going on.

15891580337164464509436112414566.jpg
you'll notice two things in this picture. 1 is the tape on the forks and 2 there is no longer an issue with alignment. When I first read the reply from gggary I thought no my forks cant be bent. Then I remembered that when old guys speak you listen. I learned this years ago from the many times my father tried to tell me things and I questioned him. Gggary you were right about my forks. They're bent. I tried your trick and it didnt take long to see that both forks are bent so I marked them as best I could and raked them forward.

At first I was pretty frustrated but I guess I've been riding it this way for the last 14 years so I guess it's not the end of the world. Thanks again Gary.

Sorry about the old guy part I was just repeating what my father told me years ago. It was meant with much respect.

He also told me to never settle for anything less than a Yamaha.

Thanks again.

Sorry about the old guy part I was just repeating what my father told me years ago. It was meant with much respect.

He also told me to never settle for anything less than a Yamaha.

Thanks again.
I resemble those remarks, Sounds like your dad was a smart guy. No offense meant or taken.

Back