Xs2 desirability?

willis

xsive compulsive disorder
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
ive got an opportunity to pick up a titled 72 xs2. I'm waiting for more details but the few pictures look like it's mostly all there. Missing side covers and has extended forks though. Current owner says it turns over with compression and askin $400. I'm waiting for the guy to call me back for more details but am curious what the consensus here feels about this year model? What are some thing I should look for if I go look at it?
image.jpeg

Set that seat off to the side and it would be worth more. I would suggest that you check the compression yourself before buying. Strange that it's sitting without a tire. Isn't the cam cover off? Ask about what other parts he has.

Scott

I'm not sure the sparkplug is in the engine, maybe it is. Myself, I would never buy an engine with the sparkplug removed, chance of all kinds of trash and dirt in the cylinder if the plug has been out for some time.

XS2 had a one year/model only set of fork lowers and hub/rotor set up. http://www.xs650.com/threads/xs2-front-axle-assembly.31433/

Desirable model but that bike is a lot of work to restore and the only redeeming feature is probably the title. If the chrome is rust free there could be some value in those parts. The motor is commonly called the 256 type, 70-73, and parts are harder to get all round for these early models because they are not as common as the later 74-83 models.

There is a market for the early model parts, i would be looking to buy it for a little as possible then maybe making some money buy wrecking, and striping the motor for wrecking as well

Thanks For the replies. It's really hard to tell from the crappy cell pics I have and what condition it's in. It's about a 45 minute drive from me so I guess I will see what he says when he calls me back. Not sure if he's negotiable or if he has any additional parts. Being as it's harder to get parts maybe would be a good candidate to part it out???

Also......what I've learned from chasing bikes on Craigslist. I've looked at bikes that had awesome pictures that turned out to be worked over junk. I've also looked at bikes with terrible looking pictures that turn out to be almost pristine. Some people are very skilled at presenting these "flawless bike" pictures too.

image.png
This is my xs2,restored by me over 2 yrs.
There was no part I couldn't not find albeit with some searching and bear in mind I am the UK.
For 400 dollars buy it before someone else does

Hi willis,
for that price don't even hesitate, snap it up quick before it's gone.
A new front tire will get it rolling and a saddlemens seat cover will vastly improve it's looks for mebbe $150 more.
If the extended forks ain't to your liking (nor mine neither) lose the bars, let the tubes up through the trees like goalposts and bolt clip-ons where the tubes stick up.

Finally talked to the owner. Here is what he could tell me:
Missing: side covers, tach & speedo, t. signals, wiring harness.
Headers are rusted and need replaced. Wheels are a little rusty "but should clean up ok".
He has the stock airboxes, no mention on carb condition. Mileage is unknown as its an aftermarket speedo mounted. Extended forks. Not original headlight.
*He did say he has a '71 he just restored and a '79 xs too. He hasn't had it run, just selling because he has too many bikes. FIRM on price.
I guess at this point its just to decide if its worth the fight with my wife for dragging another home when the first isn't completed yet.
--- whats the saying.... easier to ask for forgiveness than to beg for permission????

well there is a lot of blood sweat and $$$$$$$$ from where it is to looking/running good if you ain't married to owning a stock 72 it will just change storage spots.

Yep. That's what I'm afraid of. Think I will let this one pass.
Thanks for all the replies.

You would need to make a commitment to restore, $400 is not to bad, but everything would need attention which equals $$$$. Trust me I know

My story to the wife has always been" motorcycles can sit without being feed in the corner, unlike the horses you keep finding for free" .
Now i have 2 potential bikes, a extra xs650 motor, 3 rideable 650's and my ol reliable suzuki marauder. Oh,,,and a xl250

We have a small 10x 12 storage room attached to our garage with a lot of miscellaneous shit in it. I hid an old bsa in there for about a year since she never goes in that room. I could always pull the "oh that bike??? It's been in there for years. I forgot I had that "

Back