XS2 special concerns? Known problems?

Ok so who bought it. I was going to have a buddy stop over and do the deed in about an hour. However someone beat me to it. Oh well was not fast enough. He got $2850 about what I thought . However he agreed to my $2700 offer on the phone.

I’ve always had a soft spot for the 1972 XS2’s.

Hi Mailman

I've never had a serious problem with them, not even with the decompression valve lifter.
Just a RH kill-switch expired once.
Also early bikes have better looks (although depends on individual I guess).
If you get an original one it will be a good long term investment.
I think the key thing is to get a good one to start with.

Ok so who bought it. I was going to have a buddy stop over and do the deed in about an hour. However someone beat me to it. Oh well was not fast enough. He got $2850 about what I thought . However he agreed to my $2700 offer on the phone.

Dang - well, some lucky dog may have gotten a nice find, I guess.

Ok so who bought it.

image.gif

That'd be me. I've wanted one for a long time. That ad was on my radar for the last ten days. A new build thread will soon be started.
image.png

Well Im glad it was you, however if you were a few min later it would have been mine.:) My buddy was on his way over, and i was getting the truck ready. I have a video from the seller and it sounds nice. i dont think I have seen a nicer one to start with. Congratulations even though im a little bummed :cheers:. When i visit again i will have to stop bye. My friend lives in Glendale.

Well Im glad it was you, however if you were a few min later it would have been mine.:) My buddy was on his way over, and i was getting the truck ready. I have a video from the seller and it sounds nice. i dont think I have seen a nicer one to start with. Congratulations even though im a little bummed :cheers:. When i visit again i will have to stop bye. My friend lives in Glendale.

Thank you, I appreciate that there are no hard feelings. I have a tremendous amount of respect for the work you have done on your bikes and I'm hoping that you would consider offering me council on my restoration since you have recently restored your own XS2. Next time you're in town I would love to meet you and your friend.
Bob

Thanks Pete and Robin!

Nice Bob!! What's your plans for it?

Thanks Jim, The bike is very original and unmolested. The tins and chrome are not perfect but for being 47 years old it's pretty presentable. I am thinking of doing a sympathetic restoration. Going through it mechanically, making it roadworthy, and just shining it up and leaving it original. As they say, they are only original once.

Back