XS500 Swing arm to a XS650?

Anddajets

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I have the opportunity to get a complete XS500 for parts,(or restoration) in a trade. I need a lot of misc items for my 650, turn signals, misc fasteners, nuts and bolts, hand levers that match, etc. which I know will help me with my xs650 project. But I was wondering can you put the swing arm and wheel with disc brakes (including caliper, rotor, master cylinder, brake pedal) off a XS500 onto a 650 frame? I know to add the master cylinder I will need to make the mounting bracket missing on the 650 frame, but can I use all of the other parts to make a complete drum to disc conversion?
or am I just fooling myself?

Please give us a bit more info so we can help you - pictures/year of your 650, same of your parts bike.

Curiosity abounds... we'v used a few of the Tx750 s/arms.. bolt in... they are heavier and work well... drum brake is larger... toss'd one on a Special, with the18 inch wheel and it seem'd to improve handling along with lower'n the ft forks.
I'd double ck the 500 s/arm length .... longer the better..?.. diameter ?

The 500 is a 77 model my bike is an 81 heritage special. It seems to me if I can swap out swing arm along with the wheel, calipers, etc. It would work. I know, or think I know a 650 wheel will not work with the 500s swing arm, but I am thinking if the swing arm can be bolted to the 650 frame and I use the wheel, calipets, etc., off the 500 it could work. Then only other modification would be adding the master cylinder mount.

Curiosity abounds... we'v used a few of the Tx750 s/arms.. bolt in... they are heavier and work well... drum brake is larger... toss'd one on a Special, with the18 inch wheel and it seem'd to improve handling along with lower'n the ft forks.
I'd double ck the 500 s/arm length .... longer the better..?.. diameter ?
My thought is the 500 has an 18 inch Mag wheel and to be able to swap out the all parts needed as opposed to scrounging all the different parts needed to do Drum to disc conversion seems ideal. Not to mention the 650 only came with 16 inch wheel with the disc set up. I just don't know if the 500 swing arm would bolt up. Wish I knew all the measurements, I do know that there is 1.5 inch difference in wheel base, don't know if it because of the swing arm length, frame length, or rake & trail. I am going to go look at the bike tomorrow

Last edited:
I don't know if they are interchangable but it's not a bad idea. If the bushings are the same and the width and length of the swingarm than you can indeed change the whole including the wheel. Time to start measuring.
If it fits, I predict a run on XS500 swingarms/wheels/rotors/calipers here :)

Check sprocket sizes available for that wheel before you get too far. Quick search says the smallest rear sprocket is 41 tooth which would be great if you are planning to climb trees.
Pretty sure I have an 18" XS500 rear wheel on a 650 in the shed with that issue....

Last edited:
Check sprocket sizes available for that wheel before you get too far. Quick search says the smallest rear sprocket is 41 tooth which would be great if you are planning to climb trees.
Pretty sure I have an 18" XS500 rear wheel on a 650 in the shed with that issue....

That is the kind of information I really need, thanks.
Dennis Kirk sells a smaller 37 tooth rear sprocket for the 77 XS 500

Last edited:
Thanks everybody for helping me think this out, I decided not to try this, the more I look at it it seems like a bad idea. If It would have been a good idea most likely it would have already been tried. That's the reason I proposed the question to see if it had. Thanks again.

Not insurmountable. I have the XS500 rear with a 32 rear sprocket from a Honda.
Search 18/18 for the whole conversion story.

Back