xs650 71 (xs1b) - front wheel swap for disc brakes

gregcarv

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Been looking everywhere for info on this. Can't seem to find it.

What's the best way to go about swapping the front wheel (drum) for disc brakes on a xs1b (71)

Posted via Mobile

The original '70 - '71 drum brakes used a 34mm fork up until mid '77. After that they switched to 35mm forks.

To swap to a disc brake, you'll either need '72 - mid '77 front forks (34mm) that have the caliper mounts and matching caliper, and any year disc wheel.

Or you'll need the triple trees, caliper, and wheel from any year after mid '77 (I'd go with '78 just to be on the safe side) since the 35mm forks won't fit your triple trees.

Don't forget the spacers and axle either.

How hard is it to find parts in Aruba?

Thanks for the info. The thing is I am thinking of buying a 71 xs650 1b.
It looks like it will need a lot of work. I am thinking of replacing the entire front end, triples, stem, forks wheel, brakes, and use slightly more common sizes for all the above. I am hoping this will give the bike some longevity.

As for the triples, I thought I get a set of these: http://oldschoolspeed.com/products/

This isn't really a restoration project. I want to keep the original styling as best as I can, but I will need to modernize it.

Parts are impossible to find here in Aruba, so I need to order everything online. Shipping is very expensive, and import duties even more so.

Any advice??

Given the shipping costs I'd look for something local that can be adapted. Used forks from the year 2000 and used forks from 1970 aren't much different in price. All of these old parts are way overvalued for the performance they give.

Finding parts locally is not an option. Nothing available here. Besides, the cost locally will be the same if I order it and get it shipped. There really is no way around the expense part of it.

Basically, I want to change the front end in such a way that I can get the best possible performance from it.

What do I really need to change on a front end with drum brakes to achieve this?

What is the best setup in your opinion?

Are the shafts different sizes from year to year?
What hurdles can I expect?

please note: I am speaking from a point of complete and total ignorance... total newbie here :)

Posted via Mobile

Back