XS650 Adventure Bike?

Looking great so far @Kevin Werner. Did you source tires yet? My TX650A had Bridgestone Trailwings on it when I bought it, as did my new DR650, but I think those Shinko 244s are better. They are well regarded by the DR650 community.
Shinko 244 on the back and Dunlop 606 on front of my DR650 have served me very well over the years.

Had a Dunlop 606 on the back initially but the noise and accelerated wear of that rear tire was too much, thus the switch to the Shinko 244, I'll never use anything else now.

See Mr. Miyagi’s site on u tube. Multi mods on XS’s. Some scrambler mods may be of benefit.
Thanks but for this year I am changing only the seat, handlebars and tires. I will travel "lite overnight" once or twice this coming season. The bike gets a badly needed fork rebuild and the aforesaid mods, each easily reversible (on an already very modified bike). My intended use is "meandering" and the occassional pavement road "drag race" father and son BBK 750s between the gravel or dirt path explorations.

Thanks but for this year I am changing only the seat, handlebars and tires. I will travel "lite overnight" once or twice this coming season. The bike gets a badly needed fork rebuild and the aforesaid mods, each easily reversible (on an already very modified bike). My intended use is "meandering" and the occassional pavement road "drag race" father and son BBK 750s between the gravel or dirt path explorations.
You and Ben have fun. You deserve it.

Looking great so far @Kevin Werner. Did you source tires yet? My TX650A had Bridgestone Trailwings on it when I bought it, as did my new DR650, but I think those Shinko 244s are better. They are well regarded by the DR650 community.

Shinko 244 on the back and Dunlop 606 on front of my DR650 have served me very well over the years.

Had a Dunlop 606 on the back initially but the noise and accelerated wear of that rear tire was too much, thus the switch to the Shinko 244, I'll never use anything else now.
I think I ordered Shinko 241s, they are labeled 57P Trail but look like the 241s. They are a visual match to the "trials" tires found on enduros from all brands in the 70s.
1710118464228.png
Does anybody want a set of Dunlop 404s with1800-2000 miles? No charge, just wait until they get to a place you can pick them up. I will be in Arkansas in May and folks from all over will be there. I could hand them off to someone heading in your general direction. If anyone is interested. There may be a Mississippi , Georgia, West Virginia, Missouri, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Kansas contingent and others attending.

Last edited:

I also had a Dunlop 606 on the rear of my DR and it was great in the bush and dirt roads but wore out quickly and SO LOUD on the pavement! Likely will get Dunlop Trailmax Missions for next tires on the DR. Not sure if these are available in XS650 wheel sizes.

Last edited:
From the very beginning this bike had "stiff" links in the chain.it cleans up nice with mineral spirits and a soapy bath but repeated lubes still leave stiff links. Time to replace while it is apart?View attachment 263797
Yep, replace or regret sometime down the road. Big :poo: when it goes at 50mph; not fun at all.

This pic from @5twins was in my Red Bike thread when I was rebuilding '81 forks. The "Adventure" ( 😁 ) bike has '77 forks. What tool is used to get these damper rods out.

1710541078900.png

Back