XS650 And Cold Weather

Uhlaf

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I just wanted to pop in and say that if you guys ever have a chance go take your XS out on a chilly morning I suggest doing so. I commute on my XS ever day to work and back which consists of about 10km of highway on the 401, Canada is a little cold right now in the morning (~10c) and I've never had my XS pull like it did yesterday. I was unconsciously cruising at 130km/h when I feel the bike is usually more comfortable at 100km/h, made it to work in record time.

It was like having a little turbo on it. :thumbsup:

For sure, cold air is more dense and thus you pack more oxygen into the intake part of the combustion cycle.

However, the snowmobile suit you have to wear has more weight and produces more drag, so net/net you don't really gain much.

Try to stay conscious in that Toronto traffic, for your own safety:D

Hi Guys,
back 'ome I used to commute my sidecar rig ~5 miles to work in the snow but it never got below ~ minus 2ºC and my blood was hotter back then.
These days just after fall's first snowstorm I fire up my XS650 rig in our heated garage and take a ceremonial slither around the neighborhood before winterizing the rig.
But as to actually riding somewhere in cool weather, I think I agree with my buddy Ray,
if it's colder than +7ºC I take the car.

Back