xs650 backfiring and popping

Anthony1993

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
hey guys , so I recently replaced my air filters and switched to 4-1/2 inch uni foam filters.
Also cleaned out my gas tank and replaced the fuel with premium and added a bit of sea foam to it.
Took the bike out and it ran the best its ever ran before for about 2 miles.
Then as I excellerated in first gear and was just about to switch to second, the bike began to bog down and back fire a bunch accompanied with popping from the left exhausted pipe (shifter side ) .
Shortly after this, it died and left me on the side of the road.
I was able to get it started a hand full of times after but every time I would put it in gear and begin To let off the clutch, no matter how much gas i would give it, it would just die again.
I havnt looked at it at all. But curious to what you all think.

TCI ignition?
check battery charging.
Check to be sure the vacuum caps are on the intake ports.
Year, mods, pics?

Pamco ignition, batteryless, runs on capacitor.
Vacuum Caps are definitely not on the ports. Ill put them on asap.
In thinking the air/fuel mixture is off due to my new air filters?

20200515_133920.jpg

Just replace the caps that should fix it. Not unusual for motor to blow those caps off on a decel backfire, get good quality caps and clamp or wire them on or it will happen again. I like a bit of 3/16" tygon fuel line and a ball bearing to make a cap. So many of the rubber caps are crap they crack and leak..

Just replace the caps that should fix it. Not unusual for motor to blow those caps off on a decel backfire, get good quality caps and clamp or wire them on or it will happen again. I like a bit of 3/16" tygon fuel line and a ball bearing to make a cap. So many of the rubber caps are crap they crack and leak..
Thats exactly why I havnt had caps on. They keep breaking and cracking.

You might want to add a carb support, a hardtail bounces things round pretty good.
Bike looks well put together!

You might want to add a carb support, a hardtail bounces things round pretty good.
Bike looks well put together!
Yeah that's a good idea, ill have to start thinking about that.
Thanks man I really appreciate that, i definitely worked hard on it and it took many iterations of fabricating stuff and not liking it too finally think of a good idea.

The carb intake boots have a metal shrouds that should be installed over the boots too. Then install carb clamp and tightened until faces are closed shut screwed bottomed out. Best to use JIS screw driver on the phillips clamp too to avoid stripping....ask how I know lol :whistle:

F4B5478E-C7F6-459C-8D04-1E4EF8AF0BC0.png

Yeah that's a good idea, ill have to start thinking about that.
Thanks man I really appreciate that, i definitely worked hard on it and it took many iterations of fabricating stuff and not liking it too finally think of a good idea.

JBM Intake manifolds are great, do a good job supporting carbs/filters. Plus no vacuum port to worry about, so 2 birds, 1 stone.

Back