xs650 backfiring and popping

The carb intake boots have a metal shrouds that should be installed over the boots too. Then install carb clamp and tightened until faces are closed shut screwed bottomed out. Best to use JIS screw driver on the phillips clamp too to avoid stripping....ask how I know lol :whistle:

View attachment 167145
I had no idea about those. My bike definitely does not have that.

did you tinker with the jets when you put the Unifilters on? if not it’s probably backfiring cause it’s running lean, Unis let more airin than the stock filters, if your carb boots are cactus they could be leaking air too, mine was backfiring and carrying on when and I pulled the boots off they were split right through and the rubber was sort of mushy, probably due to ethanol in the fuel, new boots and it runs heaps better.

did you tinker with the jets when you put the Unifilters on? if not it’s probably backfiring cause it’s running lean, Unis let more airin than the stock filters, if your carb boots are cactus they could be leaking air too, mine was backfiring and carrying on when and I pulled the boots off they were split right through and the rubber was sort of mushy, probably due to ethanol in the fuel, new boots and it runs heaps better.
No I did not tinker with jets at all when I put new filters on. I am suspect that its running too lean . But I was thinking that the popping sound from the exhaust means that I'm too rich? Wouldn't it cause it to pop if there was extra fuel that wasn't being burned and it cycled through the exhaust and ignites once contacted the hot pipes?
Or I also have an leak in the exhaust somewhere, likely were it contacts to motor

Yes, those missing vacuum nipple caps are a major part of your problem. I also see you have added pods and are running straight pipes. You have the BS34 carbs which were borderline too lean right from the factory on a totally stock machine. If it hasn't been done, you need to re-jet. Frankly, I'm surprised it runs at all the way it is, lol.

Yes, those missing vacuum nipple caps are a major part of your problem. I also see you have added pods and are running straight pipes. You have the BS34 carbs which were borderline too lean right from the factory on a totally stock machine. If it hasn't been done, you need to re-jet. Frankly, I'm surprised it runs at all the way it is, lol.
I'm not sure if its been done or not. I havnt done it. I bought the bike about a year ago and the guy didn't say much about it.
I understand its dependent on altitude and a number of things but any pointers on net size to go for or a decent jet set to try things out with?

Start by seeing what's in there.
You said it was running really well, if it goes back to that with the caps on, RIDE! LOL.

Back