xs650 engine fits xs500 frame?

Mantis

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I have 1975 xs500. Can i fit 1983 xs650 engine into this frame? 1983 engine comes with electric components. Would all the cables to the engine and gear box fit, or i will have to do some adjustments, or replace the cables? Are the brakes and other parts the same?
Is xs500 engine really so bad?( from what the reviews say). I just know, that it's almost impossible to find parts for 1975 xs500. For the carbs, as example?
Thanks,
Mantis

76 XS500 carbs.

I typed in xs500 over my saved XS650 ebay search and came up with over 6000 parts. Of course not all of them are actual bike parts but they are out there.

Some love the XS/TX 500 and by all accounts they are reliable if some of the known problems are addressed. Type in google search. TX 500, An Aussie recently documented a restoration of the bike.
Here is the link. http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33248

Engine frame swapping is about never a good idea, can it be done? Well maybe but it ain't a worthwhile project. you would have to start by seeing if a shell motor would physically fit into the XS500 cradle and descend into endless custom fabrication, cutting, bending, welding 1/4 plate, from there.

Thank you for your advices. I am still not sure what to do with my xs500. I like the bike, I took it apart and trying to restore as possible, just don't know if it worth efforts, if the bike is not going to be reliable as xs650 is...
Do you know, if the seat and wheels are interchangeable? and will the chain work with the xs650 engine?
The reason I am so attached to my 500 is that a bike is in a great shape, but I am concerned about the engine. :banghead:
But thanks for you time guys.
Maybe you'll help me to not make a mistake...

The XS500 had a design problem with the engine head up to and including 1975 I believe.
I think it was cracking of the head. iirc "tonyc" , who is a regular here, got a replacement head from Yamaha as part of a recall. Perhaps tonyc will comment.

Your 1975 most likely has had the head replaced with the stronger design head.????

I had a 1976 XS500C,which I bought new, for 13 years. It was a very good bike and I had no problems.

Mantis I had a 75' and it did have a head problem and was replaced by Yamaha. A very smooth running bike. It would perform at freeway speeds. I rode all over California. I wish that I had kept mine. I put del'Orto carburetors on mine it really perked up the performance. For appearance 75' was a great year. Later mag wheels are a direct swap if you like. I would rebuild the 500 if I were you. It can be done with effort. tonyc

Well now that we're talking XS500's, I'm forced to bring out some pictures from the good old days:D

2 of the pics are my 1976 XS500C, and the other pic is a 1978 pic that I found on the internet somewhere. As Tony said, the engine is very smooth, 180 degree crank with a balancer shaft. 4 valves per cylinder.

I drove mine around eastern Canada, and down into Pennsulvania, New Jersey, New York, Vermont, New Hampshire, and Maine. A lot of good memories with that bike.
Very reliable bike.

Attachments

• 1976 XS500C.jpg
    1976 XS500C.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 707
  • Scanned at 12-05-2008 23-20 PM.jpg
    Scanned at 12-05-2008 23-20 PM.jpg
    289.6 KB · Views: 420
  • Yamaha-XS500-1978.jpg
    Yamaha-XS500-1978.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 3,422
Wow, guys,
I didn't expect so many responds! Thank you.
I started liking my bike even more. And thanks for good old pictures.
One more question:
what carbs could replace the originals? I have them in a bad condition and can not find the rebuild kits anywhere. The bowl gaskets are impossible to find. Maybe its a good idea to replace the carbs? What are del'Orto carbs? Are they made specially for xs500, or some adjustments need to be done to fit them. Can I us 650 carbs?
Can I use master cylinder from xs650? The brakes look the same on both bikes.

Wow, guys,
I didn't expect so many responds! Thank you.
I started liking my bike even more. And thanks for good old pictures.
One more question:
what carbs could replace the originals? I have them in a bad condition and can not find the rebuild kits anywhere. The bowl gaskets are impossible to find. Maybe its a good idea to replace the carbs? What are del'Orto carbs? Are they made specially for xs500, or some adjustments need to be done to fit them. Can I us 650 carbs?
Can I use master cylinder from xs650? The brakes look the same on both bikes.

I never had any problems with the stock Mikuni carbs on my XS500C. My bike would do the Ton with the stock carbs, and gave 50 mpg (USG) . How bad are your carbs? Can you post a picture of your carbs? You could cut out bowl gaskets yourself, from gasket paper.

If you don't want to use the stock carbs, you could consider something like the Kawasaki 500 carbs. They are reported to work very well on the XS650, and no doubt would also work well on an XS500.

thanks Skull. Big help. But honestly,would you keep500 or switch to 650?

The XS500 can ride along side an XS650 with no problems at all. Acceleration and top speed are almost the same. The XS500 is much smoother, similar to a 4 cylinder bike. The XS500 engine loves to rev.

If handlebar vibration bothers you, then you would love the XS500.

You will feel more torque with the XS650 when first accelerating , while the XS500 needs to build up some revs before the power comes on.

Driving down the highway at 62 mph/100 kms/hr, my XS650 is at about 3800 rpm, while the XS500 would be at about 4800 rpm.

Thank you , RG.
There is one broken aluminum part in one carb, that holds the float axle in place. I tried to glue it with metal epoxy, but gasoline seems to melt the epoxy. otherwise the carbs are good, if I would get the rebuild kit, that Skull recommended, I can make them work like new.

Your '75 model has the Keihin carbs, reportedly troublesome. I think your best bet would be to update to a later models Mikuni set. I'm sure they're available on eBay.

Back