XS650 help

XSproblems

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I bought a 1980 XS650 from a used car dealership. It was running when I bought it and I was driving down the road and the intake manifold (original with pods on carbs) busted and it died. I bought new intake manifolds form Mikesxs aftermarket ones. I've replaced the plugs in it left cylinder seemed fouled while the right seemed to run lean. I decided to check the spark on the plugs and it seems its definitely getting spark even zapped myself to make sure. I drained the floats and the left carbs had yellow gas dump out??? mind you there was fresh gas put in it. the right carb barely had and I mean a few drops of yellow gas come out. This is my first bike, its completely bobbed out. I'm looking for a starting place to go off of to figure out why it wont start up and run now. Did I mention it has BS38 carbs on it.

Your carbs need a serious cleaning. Ethanol gas goes bad fast. And a new fuel filter. Sounds like carbs are totally plugged, and a float is stuck shut.

Your carbs need a serious cleaning. Ethanol gas goes bad fast. And a new fuel filter. Sounds like carbs are totally plugged, and a float is stuck shut.
I appreciate a good starting point and I figured the carbs were gunked up from the ethanol fuel. Is there a thread that explains how to do a decent cleaning on them? I no nothing about tearing down and rebuilding carbs (yet). I've really considered about buying Mikes xs aftermarket carbs but after reading some threads on here about them being 2 stroke carbs on a 4 stroke engines has me weary about buying them.

One of the advantages to dual carbs is you can work on them one at a time. That way if you get stuck you have a one to help finger it out.
Download and study this pdf.
As important as getting the jets clean are the passageways from the jets to outlets in the throttle body. Look in the throttle body by the butterfly plates and you will see some outlet holes. If you spray WD40 or carb cleaner(wear EYE protection) in the bottom you should see fluid spray/come out by the butterfly.
By this time in the process you will have another question or three. . . promise.

Welcome to the forums there is a lot of helpful threads on here so its worth trawling through the Tech section and using the search feature.

youtube is your friend

Back