XS650 Indictors

Bennett

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi my XS650 SE American Import has developed a problem with the indicators none of them light up let alone flash, when I ride the motorcycle the neutral light goes orange, I suspect a loose earth connection, I would appreciate a lead on where to start, by the way the battery is new.

Have you checked the charge rate with a VOM at the battery while the bike is running?

Hi my XS650 SE American Import has developed a problem with the indicators none of them light up let alone flash, when I ride the motorcycle the neutral light goes orange, I suspect a loose earth connection, I would appreciate a lead on where to start, by the way the battery is new.
Hi Bennett and welcome,
WTF? The Neutral light should show green when the transmission is in neutral and go out when it's in gear.
I don't see a way that it could change it's colour.
Are you sure that what you think is the neutral light really IS the neutral light?

Pretty sure the orange is a turn signal indicator that comes on steady instead of flashing. It can be caused by low voltage. Not sure how similar your model is to the later Specials, but in those you need to re-solder three cups inside the switch before you will have reliable turn signals. I think the steady orange can also be a burned out blinker bulb.

If your bike still has the original 4 position fuse block (glass fuses), they are always a prime suspect, when you have an electrical problem such as you are having. It may be the 10 amp "signal" fuse holder/fuse. Its best to replace them with automotive blade type fuse holders.
Every circuit has a current path from the power side and from the ground side. There is no reason to suspect a "loose earth" anymore that a poor connection on the power side. You have to trouble shoot the entire circuit. Use a VOM.

Just went out to the shed and removed an indicator bulb. When I switch on indicators the orange light on the display panel comes on and stays on for the side where the bulb is missing. Have you blown a bulb on both sides? If all the bulbs are good then perhaps a common/shared earth wire has come loose under the seat?

welcome to the forum Bennet

this troubleshooting flochart I made might be helpful. Maybe someone could put it in the tech section
xs650 flasher flowchart.jpg

http://www.xs650.com/threads/flasher-fault-troubleshoot-flowchart.42200/#post-422178

Hi Bennett and welcome,
WTF? The Neutral light should show green when the transmission is in neutral and go out when it's in gear.
I don't see a way that it could change it's colour.
Are you sure that what you think is the neutral light really IS the neutral light?
Neutral light green as normal but when riding turns orange intermittently
Just went out to the shed and removed an indicator bulb. When I switch on indicators the orange light on the display panel comes on and stays on for the side where the bulb is missing. Have you blown a bulb on both sides? If all the bulbs are good then perhaps a common/shared earth wire has come loose under the seat?
thanks for your reply
thanks
welcome to the forum Bennet

this troubleshooting flochart I made might be helpful. Maybe someone could put it in the tech section
View attachment 103341
http://www.xs650.com/threads/flasher-fault-troubleshoot-flowchart.42200/#post-422178
thanks

If your bike still has the original 4 position fuse block (glass fuses), they are always a prime suspect, when you have an electrical problem such as you are having. It may be the 10 amp "signal" fuse holder/fuse. Its best to replace them with automotive blade type fuse holders.
Every circuit has a current path from the power side and from the ground side. There is no reason to suspect a "loose earth" anymore that a poor connection on the power side. You have to trouble shoot the entire circuit. Use a VOM.
Thanks

Have a good look at Peanuts flow diagram. Looks damn good! Try working your way through it and you should find where the power is, where the good earths are and if anything is dead. I think it covers all the individual suggests made so far but in a nice sequence - Nice one Peanut.

Neutral light green as normal but when riding turns orange intermittently

Hi Bennett,
the neutral light only comes on (in whatever colour) when the transmission is in neutral?
Either what you think is the neutral light isn't one or it's little green window is loose so that sometimes
the bulb's white light mixes with the little window's green to appear orange.
That or you need a colour-recognition eye test.

Back