Wanted - xs650 maxim 5-spoke rear wheel NEEDED!

tfish400

XS650 Member
Reaction score
I need a 5-spoke rear wheel for a xs650 maxim with the axel, sprocket, drum brake, everything that hangs on the swingarm. PM me if you can help.

The Maxim is an XJ650. You need the pinwheel-like mag w/drum, right? Entirely different bike, but maybe someone on here has the parts you need anyway.

Thanks for the info Teebs. The reason I need one is this: PSW Customs, the only group I have found to make a weld-on hardtail for the xs400, designed theirs to use the xs650 size wheel. The bike I'm hardtailing is a maxim, therefore it has the swept back 5 spoke wheels. I don't want to have to buy a front and rear wheel because I'm on a budget. Do you know if the xj650 and the xs650 have the same size wheel/axel? Again, thanks for the information

PM me a pic of it, SASSE. Do you want to sell or trade? If you have any need for xj750 or xs400 parts, we can work out some kind of trade.

They are all the same size, but weren't all the XJ 650s shafties? I think the only Maxims that weren't shaft drive were the 1982 XJ400 and XJ550. A couple of other XJ models like the Seca were chain drive. Keep in mind that the Maxim used the wider 16" cruiser wheel seen on the later XS650 Specials, while the Seca and other sport models used the narrower 18" wheel like the '70s xs650 Standards used.

16" is good for straight line cruising stability
18" is better for responsive turning

Last edited:
OK, missed the part about what you're hardtailing. If you're hardtailing a Maxim, what does PSW's XS40 weld-on hardtail have to do with it?

You should pose your question about the axle size in the Garage section. Someone there might be able to give you a definite answer.

I am hardtailing a maxim XS400. With a maxim 400 weld-on hardtail section. The fabricator told me the frame was built to use the xs650 rear wheel. If the xs650 does not use the 5 spoke wheel, I will just have to buy a new front and rear wheel that match. No XJ models involved.

Well, I guess that's what I don't get. It's either a Maxim, which is an XJ400 or an XS400 which is not a Maxim. They aren't the same, unless I woke up in an alternate reality.... which I suppose is entirely possible.

What year is it?

Does it look like this:
Yamaha%20XJ400%20Maxim.jpg

Or like this:
Yamaha%20XS400S%2080%20%201.jpg

and to meke this even more confusing the xs and xj wheels are different.
i believe the axle is the same but the width may be different so a custom made spacer may fix the issue.

btw the xj400 and xj550 are the only models with those rims and are chain drive.

if you need any info on the xj try xj4ever.com

Thanks guys. That's really bad news about the hardtail kit. I will get some specs about it all and maybe it can be modified to work.

I read all this and I think my head hurts. I am not clear on this, is that right?

Yeah. Everyone calls the xj400 maxim an xs400, but it's really an xj. A lot of differences in the frame structure (there is no brace in front of the engine) and engine parts. Unlike the other xj bikes, it only has 2 cylinders and is a chain drive. Luckily, I can still modify the hardtail kit to work for my xj/xs/confused little bike.

Oddly enough, the 1982 Seca 400 carried the XS prefix ( I didn't believe it until the seller handed me the owner's manual ). Tfish, you already have a killer start for a hardtail. Remove the monoshock and put a shorter strut in its place to lower the rear end. The swingarm already looks like a hardtail. If it were painted to match the frame, I think it would stand out a lot less.

Funny story about that danno. I cut off the top of the swingarm planning to make it look like the stock XS650 (dual shocks) then inspiration struck me; this bike would look awesome with the classic hard-tail. If it turns out that I cannot in fact use the weld on hard-tail from PSW Customs, then I will use my swingarm and weld some braces from the axle plates to the backbone. I will update with pictures as money allows for parts.

Do you still need a rear wheel? I have a rear wheel and brake plate assembly from a 1982 Yamaha XJ650 Maxim that could be yours for $30 plus shipping. I might have the axle, just haven't looked for it yet.

Back