xs650 special into xs650?

ouir3

XS650 New Member
Reaction score
good afternoon,

i am new to this site but not to yamahas. my first purchase was between an xs400 special and an xs650. i picked the former because i felt like it was the best choice at the time, primarily an economic one, and, although i enjoyed that ride i regretted not buying the 650.

now i have come upon a 650 special and though it is a nice bike itself i would rather have the style of the xs. is it possible/practical to do a makeover of sorts to turn the special into an xs?

thanks in advance for your input.

Possible? Yes, of course. Anything is possible with enough $.

Practical? Is it really practical to get into a large project with a 30-40 year old motorcycle? Don't do this because it's practical, do it beause you want to.

A new set of handlebars, some shorter cables, and a smaller seat does wonders for the look of the Specials, but it won't look exactly like a Standard.

What do you want to do?

not sure of the year, the tank is a solid navy blue if that helps, not many details in the ad. has 1,300 miles. a little rough, missing side covers. i do like the look of the special, just not as well as the xs. i don't often see many 650s, special or otherwise, near me so that's the purpose of the inquiry.

what are the significant differences other than appearance? is the frame/suspension the same?

The '78 and '79 Specials lend themselves to a somewhat conversion better than the '80 and up years, as the Standard and Special metal sidecovers can be swapped. Not so with the later Special plastic sidecovers.

Seat, handlebars and tank should swap easily with the early Special....emphasis on seat here as its side hinged like the Standard. The main fly in the ointment is the shock angle. The Special model shocks lean a bit more forward than the Standards and won't fool a discerning eye.

You need to know what year that bike is. Any pics?

The standard frames are "straighter".

This is an '83 Heritage Special with a shaved seat, lower bars and Commando exhaust.

P5100034Medium_zps88aa18bc.jpg

P7030037Large_zpsc9ce0c89.jpg

P7030043Large_zpsec312024.jpg

This is the same bike with the larger Standard gas tank, MikesXS cafe seat, 2-1 exhaust, rear wheel relaced to an 18" hoop and a British style tail light. Oh, and "tucked" turn signals.

P3040096Small_zpsb9acb062.jpg

P4010057Small_zps37b85683.jpg

0206545628105533_2883705792493760328_n_zpsanezhnp1.jpg

0206545628625546_2607913258224225160_n_zpsvotftt96.jpg

Yes you need to identify or tell us the bike you have,

The Special's 78SE/79SF/79SII/80G models all have a hinged seat and can be converted to a Standard lookalike very easily. The models, (above), have metal side-covers that latch to the frame.

All other Special models, 80SG/81H,SH/82,83Heritage Specials all have a clip on seat and will need to have hinges welded onto the frame or a clip-on mechanism attached to a standard seat.

Standard seat attached to a 78SE/79SF/79SII/80G model Special.

the scott s top 2 posted photos are something of what i would like to do to the bike. i will have to get some photos and determine the age to answer these questions posed here. understand this info is important, just not available at this time. i am leaving the computer at this time so when i have this info i will post it.

again, thanks for your input and comments. most helpful. hope it will lead to a fun project.

this is an 80 special with the 80's flavor removed. flat seat, low bars, and short shocks
1438530610.jpg

Hi ouir3,
depends on what year Special it is.
The only thing that ain't a nut'n'bolt swap to turn a Special into a Standardish-looking bike is the shock angle.
Bars & tank, straight swap all years.
Seat, '79 & earlier side-hinge seats swap.
There ain't no '80 or newer Standards but you can re-upholster the '80 & newer lift-off seat to remove it's hump.
The sidecovers will "pass" if you remove any chrome writing that says "Special"
You can swap in any year of wire wheels but there weren't any 18" disk brake rears.

good morning,

the xs650 special has been identified as a 1978, a texas bike with no title!

That's a good platform for a Standardization.
In your original post you said 1400 miles on the bike.....if that wasn't a misprint and the price was right I'd be inclined to consider snatching it up. Not sure what you need to do to get a title there in Texas, but if the engine has good compression and the bike wasn't left outside in a stockyard or swamp..........
I've seen titled necks or frames go for $250 to $300 bucks. Total it all up and see if it's worth it.

good morning,

the xs650 special has been identified as a 1978, a Texas bike with no title!

If the bike is no longer in the DMV database you can get a bonded title.
The worst part is having to haul the bike to the county sheriffs office to get a vin verification and have them run a check to verify it wasn't stolen.
After that you to go to the regional DMV office for the required "rejection" letter.

Then have your insurance company issue a surety bond, that costs about ~$100, and take that to the county tax office with the paper work and get a new title.
Beware that in Texas you will have to pay tax on the SPV (Standard Presumptive Value), as determined by the state, not the purchase price.

http://www.txdmv.gov/motorists/buying-or-selling-a-vehicle/bought-a-vehicle-with-no-title

Although the special's shocks are more angled and shorter, you can get 13" shocks which will bring the rear up to a more "standard" height...then simply swap the rear tire to an 18" and you're pretty much looking at a standard with regard to stance.

Swap the bars, seat, change out the side covers and tank with a '78 standard's and it will be very hard to tell the difference (Except for those that know).

As it's been mentioned, everything is bolt on, no real modifications needed...simply need time/money and a gift for finding the parts. :)

Back