Wanted - XS650 Standard Spoke Wheels

Fleksta

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a set of 19"/18" spoke wheels to replace the mags on my '79 special. Front must be a disk brake wheel, if you also have the trimmings for the rear drum brake I'll buy them as well.

They need to be in good usable & presentable shape. Tires are not required and shipping will be cheaper without them anyway.

Based on what I've seen advertised here before, I'd like to keep my budget around $100 before shipping fees but I'll pay a bit more for an exceptional set.

There is a set on ebay but the seller wants $350 per wheel :wtf:

Thanks!

You guys looking for rims need to be alittle more specific.
If you get a 19 from one of the later specials it won't match the early piss catcher profile.
jus sayin

Fronts;
Mid 73 up will accept any XS650 disk. All are 19" x 1.85" width
73-74 are chrome steel with a different look than the Special II rims.
75-79 standards are "mud catcher" alloy
79 Special II are Alloy but not "mud catcher"
80-81 Special II are chrome steel
82-83 Heritage special are 64 spoke chrome steel.

18" rear
70-74 rears are chrome steel
75-79 standards are Alloy mud catchers

73-74 TX750 are bolt on, 18R 19F alloy mud catchers and have a bigger rear brake.

Define presentable. Spokes almost always have at least a little rust. The Clear coat is never flawless, the big question is how deep is the pitting in the rim. I budget about 5 hours to get a good wheel looking NICE and I have some tricks and equipment.

This after 5 hours on a pretty good wheel. I start with paint stripper to remove the clear coat

brakeupgrades%20005.JPG

The deep grooves fill with mud when riding off road, let it dry in there and it's hell to get out. That is the 75-79 standard rim. The most common spoke wheels.

I guess that means I'm looking for the 75-79 variety (standard, not heritage special, sorry if that wasn't clear). I define presentable as not brown with rust to the point where it can't be cleaned up to look halfway decent.

Back