XS650 vs. KZ650

Ballsout

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up a clean '78 KZ with a good title. Ive worked on CBs and Im in the middle of bobbing my 71 XS, but Ive never owned or even ridden a Kawasaki.

They are good looking bikes with a decent powerplant from what Ive read online. Any thoughts or experiences with these bikes?

I chose the xs650 because of the availabilty of parts and cafe stuff available (Mike's XS, 650 Central, etc). The xs is still relatively available. Pick a bike with a good engine and walk away from a basket case.

Nice...

The guy is riding it over to my shop this morning so I can take a look at it. Just the fact that he is RIDING it anywhere is a good sign I suppose :bike:

My first streetbike was a 78 KZ-650. Great bikes but the suspension leaves a lot to be desired. I rode it 25,000 trouble free miles then upgraded to a KZ-900.

Love the sound of an old KZ with a 4-1 header. I see a 650 every once in a while on CL cheap and think of picking it up to relive my youth.

Well I got my xs and also got a 79 kz650SR I love it. My kz is my daily bike. I'm currently building it into a cafe. Yes, parts are few and far between bit I haven't had any problems yet. My xs is a sea of problems on the other hand.

The KZ is a beast. You can easily correct most of it's shortcomings with upgraded suspension and modern tires. If the guy is riding it over, it's titled, inspected, and road-worthy, and you like the UJM, you can probably get into it for a good bit less than a CB in good condition, and have a great old bike. Since your title says XS VS KZ, did not know if you were choosing between the two. That would be a different kind of thread to me! There's a fair number of KZ's in Texas, running and not.

KZ 650 had the roller camchain up to '79. '80 they got the stronger Hy-Vo camchain and changed the cases to take them. Z1 enterprizes and americanclassix.com and ebay will have any parts you need. 2 online forums (650.info and KZrider.com) for advice and share info. I've got a '78KZ650 in the bikeport keeping company with my XJ600 and XS650.

It rained out here today... so hes coming by tomorrow. I did get a boat load done on my XS though while I waited. :thumbsup:

Lots of good things have been written about these scoots. I hope its worth all the hype when I see this one in person.

Welcome the newest member to the family! She is nice and clean. Nobodies hacked on it or rigged anything. He did a rattle can paint job, but it looks clean. It runs like a raped ape though! Fun little scoot, Im looking forward to logging some mile on it.

Attachments

• KZ650 1.jpg
    KZ650 1.jpg
    185.3 KB · Views: 508
  • KZ650 2.jpg
    KZ650 2.jpg
    200.4 KB · Views: 653
  • KZ650 3.jpg
    KZ650 3.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 513
Back