XS650B - 1975 - electrical

Niels B

XS650 Junkie
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in process of bringing a '75 back to stock. It was lacking the right handlebar switch and the connection to the electric starter (wires cut at starter)
the harness appear to be the original - however, the wires that runs into the headlight for assembly cause some confusion on my part. A group of wires come from following:
1) right side handlebar switch
2) left side handlebar switch
3) ignition switch
4) indicator light / speedo/tacometer
5)right side wire harness
6) left side wire harness.
for the most i understand where and what the wires need to connect to and where they comes from, however a black/blue wire comes with the bundle from both left and right side wire harness, both have a female plug ! i have looked at almost every single wire diagram I can find of models from XS1 through XS650SJ models - do not see black/blue wire anywhere coming as described above. on the XS650B &C i only see black/blue between headlight dimmer and headlight switch?
anyone able to help / suggest ? ie pictures from inside and original headlight for a 1975 XSB
regards/Niels

74/75 headlight bucket.......indicators are colored in
74 TXA Assembly manual - parts  Manualt17 17 copy 1.jpg

76 headlight bucket wiring
76C Assembly manual - parts  Manualt19 19.jpg

75/76 wiring loom........real problem with this is the 75 and 76 gauge wires differ.........haven't identified the difference..........next thing to do???
5-8-20 d 75_76_XS650 B&C Wiring and Key Updated copy.jpg

A couple of 75 headlight bucket wiring. some thing wrong are pointed out. use as a reference that's all.
solderedred copy.jpgDSC_8856 copy.jpg

Last edited:
d-75_76_xs650-b-c-wiring-and-key-updated-3a-jpg.125040

Shows the two black/blues joined, connecting the headlight on power to feed the high low switch

74/75 headlight bucket.......indicators are colored in
View attachment 183270

76 headlight bucket wiring
View attachment 183267

75/76 wiring loom........real problem with this is the 75 and 76 gauge wires differ.........haven't identified the difference..........next thing to do???
View attachment 183272
A couple of 75 headlight bucket wiring. some thing wrong are pointed out. use as a reference that's all.
View attachment 183265View attachment 183271

thank you both - especially the headlight bucket wiring is super helpful - what book did you get that from ??
i did find and connect the black/blue between the headlight switch and dimmer switch, that was the only two wires that had the color on the diagram, so the "bucket" makes a difference. thank you all!

one thing still confuse me - why are there a black/blue wire from both right and left side lower grommet in the head light bucket, and why aren't those shown on the wiring diagram ? :)

Just a thought but I think the rt hand blue black comes from the headlight on/off
sw to power the high low in the left controls. Don't quote me on this. Memory from 40 years ago.

well for now i learned that there is no resistance between the two black/blue wires coming from each side - consequently assume they can be combined as they must be on the same circuit. :) when I have it all connected i'll post to where they connect ( and if i burn the harness :))

Run a continuity test between the one coming out of the left main harness loom and the one coming out of the right side loom. That will tell you if they're connected to each other somewhere back in the harness. But, it's not going to tell you what else they may be connected to or what else they might run to. On some of these, there may be a few wires in the harness that don't get used, at least not on our U.S. model. They may connect to something on a European or Japanese home market model. Maybe that's the case with those harness blue/black wires.

I'm going to assume those wires you're talking about are blue/black not black/blue. That would be blue as the main color with a black stripe or "tracer". A black/blue would be black as the main color with a blue stripe or "tracer". I've never seen a black/blue used on any 650 so I think it's safe to assume you mean blue/black.

mystery solved, the blue/black coming from each side of the bike running into the light lower left and right is a loop, it makes it easier to connect the blue/black from left to right side handlebar switch.
again thanks for comments and drawings.

mystery solved, the blue/black coming from each side of the bike running into the light lower left and right is a loop, it makes it easier to connect the blue/black from left to right side handlebar switch.
again thanks for comments and drawings.
Good sleuthing!
Another mystery solved.

one thing still confuse me - why are there a black/blue wire from both right and left side lower grommet in the head light bucket, and why aren't those shown on the wiring diagram ? :)

They are on the wiring diagram. They are labeled L/B between the headlight sw and the dimmer sw.

They are on the wiring diagram. They are labeled L/B between the headlight sw and the dimmer sw.
oh yes and i did notice that too, what i missed was that they didn't connect to each other in the headlight jug - but looped around in the harness - so i got confused finding two similar wires coming in from each side of the frame harness :) maybe one day i'll redraw the harness and show where each wire connect haha

Back