XS650F carb removal.

Looks like when it gets registered in the UK it will end up being classified as a 78 madel, despite the frame number because the vintage club over here that gives them an age related certificate have stated that its a 78. Matters not really, so long as I get an age related plate.

Didn't know the forks were extended. Worth knowing for when I sell them.

Btw, what is the Safety Relay for? I thought it must be for a sidestand switch but there isn't one in the wiring diagram.

Attachments

• xs650 SF wiring.JPG
    xs650 SF wiring.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 37
The safety relay blocks the starter motor when the engine is running. That makes sense, though some people disable it.

Depending which year & wiring diagram applies to your bike, there's other silly stuff like the lights checker. The self-cancelling indicators (turn signals to our American friends) add a big bunch of wiring not really needed if you're prepared to turn 'em off yourself.

I suppose it won't really matter whether DVLA thinks it's '78 or '79 - either way, you get free road tax and no MOT required, just remember to declare as an historic vehicle.

The safety relay blocks the starter motor when the engine is running. That makes sense, though some people disable it.

Depending which year & wiring diagram applies to your bike, there's other silly stuff like the lights checker. The self-cancelling indicators (turn signals to our American friends) add a big bunch of wiring not really needed if you're prepared to turn 'em off yourself.

I suppose it won't really matter whether DVLA thinks it's '78 or '79 - either way, you get free road tax and no MOT required, just remember to declare as an historic vehicle.
Thanks for the fast response and comments Raymond. Very helpful. having checked out numerous wiring blocks and runs on the bike I'm pretty confident that the wiring diagram I uploaded to the thread is spot on for my bike. As I mentioned, someone has got rid of the fuse box and just looped in/out wires together by their corresponding colour codes, which I guess is ok for my purposes at the moment (getting an MOT for the registration). What they've also done is bare the insulation from the LB (blue/black) and L/Y (blue yellow) wires at the terminal block for the Reserve Lighting unit, and run a wire from both of these wires over to R/W (red/white) wire that connects the Safety Relay to the Kill Switch. I presume they were trying to find direct power source to the two blue tracer wires, but why I have no idea. I think I'm going to remove the offending bridging wire and see what happens. At the moment the headlight doesn't appear to work and the indicators are dodgy, but the latter is probably a stand alone matter. Got to sort out this wiring or I can't get my MOT.

Re: the seat
The '78/'79 Special seat has the side hinged seat pan and, imho, is the apex of the Special seat design.
The newer lift off seats had that high rise in the back to cover part of the locking mechanism that is attached to the frame.
The side hinged seat has a slight rise to the pillion giving the operator a bit of room to move back.
I've had both styles. I'd be looking for a stock replacement.
Nice bike!

Re: Tank
That paint scheme of a black tank with the gold pin stripe is what the Standard or Roadster model came with in '78.
Special tanks have the gas cap offset to the right a bit, allowing them to be upright when gassing up with the bike on the side stand. 2.9 liter capacity.
Standard tanks have the cap centered with a 3.9 liter capacity.

@Mannyroad That last link i posted was to the Tech menu. If you didn't click onto the first link there, (the one I meant to post ). then here is the link. Its an Id thread of all models with a lot of tech info, and some tutorials , with other info in post #7

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Cheers 650Skull, yes I did click on the link thanks. Loads of info to go at. It's that info that confirmed my bike as an SF.

As for the seat, I know it isn't the correct seat, due to it not being side hung, but tbh the seat is irrelevant because, and here I'm going to piss afew folk off perhaps, because my plan is to just keep the motor, and a few other bits and Bob's and sell the rest of the parts on Ebay to get my money back. Reason: this bike was only bought as a donor bike for the bobber I'm planning to build. Just needed a motor and a frame number for the UK registration.

@Mannyroad That last link i posted was to the Tech menu. If you didn't click onto the first link there, (the one I meant to post ). then here is the link. Its an Id thread of all models with a lot of tech info, and some tutorials , with other info in post #7

https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/
That ID table in the link doesn't quite stack up because my bike's code is 2F0 with an engine number 152377. The table suggests that, for the engine number, the bike should have a code identifier of 2M0 but it doesn't. Strangely, tonight, I got an email from xs650.com with a link to an ID table that differs from the one in the above link (see pic). Interestingly, it suggests that my engine number should belong to an xs650F (not SF) with a code of 2FO, which my bike does have. So now I believe my bike is an XS650F not XS650SF as previously thought.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230725_215453_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20230725_215453_Samsung Internet.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 34
It can't be an "F", that's the Standard, and you have a Special frame. The big "tell" is the passenger peg/muffler hanger bracket. The Standard would have a full loop .....

RearBrakeSwitch.jpg

..... whereas the Special just has a single bar or tube running straight back .....

RearBrakeSwitchSpecial.jpg

The VIN sticker on the neck also lists a 130/90 x 16 rear tire. The Standard model never came with a 16" rear wheel.

That ID table in the link doesn't quite stack up because my bike's code is 2F0 with an engine number 152377. The table suggests that, for the engine number, the bike should have a code identifier of 2M0 but it doesn't. Strangely, tonight, I got an email from xs650.com with a link to an ID table that differs from the one in the above link (see pic). Interestingly, it suggests that my engine number should belong to an xs650F (not SF) with a code of 2FO, which my bike does have. So now I believe my bike is an XS650F not XS650SF as previously thought.

That ID chart is wrong.
It has 2 US models having the same vin #.
79SF, 2M0 250### and 792F/SII, 4F0 250###.

I have proved these wrong by getting members to give me photographic proof of their Vin # to confirm this.

Go to the PDF form of the chart in in my link and read the notes of the vin #'s I had confirmed.

That link has confirmation on the frames, that 5twins is talking about that I repost and point out the tell when trying to determine a model. Especially if it is a bitsa

To b honest I don't care if you don't want to believe my charts. There are so many out there with incorrect information it is hard to know the truth.

I spent a lot of time confirming VIN #'s from members when they joined up here over the years to try to get it right.

There is no model with a 4F0 model code. That is what changes the VIN no on 3 models in that chart. The 4FO should read 2F0.

Now compare the differences in the 2 charts and the notes in the PDF to confirm the differences

650Skull, sorry if you think I'm doubting your charts, I'm not. I'm pissed that the xs650.com site felt the need to email me an unrequested ID chart that is incorrect.

On the chart in the link.you provided, engine numbers in the 150000 range are against an SF (US model) that is coded 2M0. What is this code and where do I find it on the bike? My bike has a VIN number on the frame of 2F0-1523377 and has a matching engine number. The bike was imported from Minnesota last year. I can't seem to find a 2F0 coded bike with an engine number in the 150000's on the chart.

5twins, I will check the rear peg hanger. I don't for one minute doubt the bike is an SF.

OK, so, as I knew it would, the frame confirms its a Special. So it's an XS650SF. But I'd still like to know why the ID chart says the code is 2M0 and not 2F0.

Attachments

• 20230726_093705.jpg
    20230726_093705.jpg
    240.9 KB · Views: 36
OK, so, as I knew it would, the frame confirms its a Special. So it's an XS650SF. But I'd still like to know why the ID chart says the code is 2M0 and not 2F0.

All that information is in the ID link, PDF, at the bottom of post #1.........** Did a Asterix/Note

2M0, 2F0, 3G5, (79&80 japan), 5V4, (82/83US), 5V5, (82/83 Candian), 3W6, (80 Oceania), 3U6, (80 Canadian) 1U3, are the Yamaha codes for different models and countries. sometimes the country Code is in the Vin #.

Last edited:
Ok, so, now I know the bike is a US XS650 SF I can move forward trying to resolve my issues with the electrics, for which I'm going to need some help from you guys who know their electrics well. I think it might be best to start a new thread with the right heading.

Back