XS650R???

charlesincharge09

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
The 1977 Yamaha XS650R was a protoype originally designed by GYRT (Genuine Yamaha Racing Technology) which is still around today. The bike was designed to be a production race bike and plans of only 3000 were to be built. Yamaha hired a group of ex-Ferrari engineers to take the already popular XS650, strip it down and soup it up. The frame remained the same although it was equipped with a single rear shock (now known as a mono-shock) and a different swing arm. Carburetors were equipped with velocity stacks, something the Italians have been using for years. The exhaust was a true masterpiece, it consisted of the two head pipes that flowed into one silencer directly underneath the motor and gave the bike a lower center of gravity. A skinnier tank was installed, along with a stylish, lightweight, fiberglass racer style seat. It wore the Yamaha yellow color with black and white accents. The bike has a simplified wiring harness with no turn signals, no starter, etc. Handlebars were a first as they resembled the now popular clip on bars. Sticky tires were mounted on aluminum rims. The motors were stock besides a different cam shaft to add more mid range to top end power. Well the story goes that once the prototype bike was completed it was taken to Elkart Lake for a top secret track testing at night to make sure no one found out about GYRT which at the time was still a secret to the public. The first lap around the track was its last. Doing over 100 mph the Italian driver laid it down due to leaking fork. He was rushed to the hospital and the bike was stashed away in the woods. He died later that night due to blood loss his name was never released. Later that week the remaining GYRT group went to recover the bike. It was gone only thing left in the woods was some shattered glass from the mirror and the bloody helmet from their dear friend.

In June of 2007, 11 miles away from the raceway a couple was doing excavating on they're newly purchased farm. After tearing down the barn they started removing the gravel flooring to. A foot down they hit dirt like they expected. What they didn't expect was a handlebar sticking up with a white grip on it. They tried pulling it out but realized it was more than just an broken schwinn handlebar underneath the ground. After an hour of digging it up they recovered for the first time in 30 years the prototype XS650R. they knew nothing about it and figured it was worthless after all the years.

A couple months later I was in the area and seen 4 old motorcycles sitting in front of the house with a for sale sign. As I stopped to look at them the mono-shocked XS grabbed my attention. I bought it for $300. I could not find any information about the bike anywhere. After sending pictures of it to multiple GYRT and Yamaha headquarters. I received information about this bike and unearthed, (literally unearthed) a 30 year old mystery. And own the rarest of the rare Yamaha motorcycles ever.

this story is made up from complete bullshit and an hour of bordem BUT.... i would love to build an XS could truely be a factory built prototype :)

alright if u guys wanna be pricks and make fun of me i compltely understand but when you go to work and stare at vintage one-off ferraris your mind starts to wander like me. i cant help it

The 1977 Yamaha XS650R was a protoype originally designed by GYRT (Genuine Yamaha Racing Technology) which is still around today. The bike was designed to be a production race bike and plans of only 3000 were to be built. Yamaha hired a group of ex-Ferrari engineers to take the already popular XS650, strip it down and soup it up. The frame remained the same although it was equipped with a single rear shock (now known as a mono-shock) and a different swing arm. Carburetors were equipped with velocity stacks, something the Italians have been using for years. The exhaust was a true masterpiece, it consisted of the two head pipes that flowed into one silencer directly underneath the motor and gave the bike a lower center of gravity. A skinnier tank was installed, along with a stylish, lightweight, fiberglass racer style seat. It wore the Yamaha yellow color with black and white accents. The bike has a simplified wiring harness with no turn signals, no starter, etc. Handlebars were a first as they resembled the now popular clip on bars. Sticky tires were mounted on aluminum rims. The motors were stock besides a different cam shaft to add more mid range to top end power. Well the story goes that once the prototype bike was completed it was taken to Elkart Lake for a top secret track testing at night to make sure no one found out about GYRT which at the time was still a secret to the public. The first lap around the track was its last. Doing over 100 mph the Italian driver laid it down due to leaking fork. He was rushed to the hospital and the bike was stashed away in the woods. He died later that night due to blood loss his name was never released. Later that week the remaining GYRT group went to recover the bike. It was gone only thing left in the woods was some shattered glass from the mirror and the bloody helmet from their dear friend.

In June of 2007, 11 miles away from the raceway a couple was doing excavating on they're newly purchased farm. After tearing down the barn they started removing the gravel flooring to. A foot down they hit dirt like they expected. What they didn't expect was a handlebar sticking up with a white grip on it. They tried pulling it out but realized it was more than just an broken schwinn handlebar underneath the ground. After an hour of digging it up they recovered for the first time in 30 years the prototype XS650R. they knew nothing about it and figured it was worthless after all the years.

A couple months later I was in the area and seen 4 old motorcycles sitting in front of the house with a for sale sign. As I stopped to look at them the mono-shocked XS grabbed my attention. I bought it for $300. I could not find any information about the bike anywhere. After sending pictures of it to multiple GYRT and Yamaha headquarters. I received information about this bike and unearthed, (literally unearthed) a 30 year old mystery. And own the rarest of the rare Yamaha motorcycles ever.

this story is made up from complete bullshit and an hour of bordem BUT.... i would love to build an XS could truely be a factory built prototype :)

Got any sketches to go with your visions, Sounds cool as hell.

alright if u guys wanna be pricks and make fun of me i compltely understand but when you go to work and stare at vintage one-off ferraris your mind starts to wander like me. i cant help it

What you need is a bitchy woman to take up some of your time! :wtf: That's stop your mind from wandering. You'll always be all jacked up in the head about some of her crap.:banghead:

Free Therapy for your restless mind!!:laugh:

haha, I just read this and was like "no freaking way, that is awesome" I was excited to see some pictures and dimensions and everything, then to find out it was all made up...

Back