XS750 - low beam light flickering even should be off

misiek303

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi

The low beam light flicks when I start the bike even the main headlight switch is off. How to troubleshoot this one?

Thanks

I take it back. Not a battery problem. I tested on car's battery but I was not aware the rectifier was disconnected.
I put it back and tested it with a spare as well. Same problem, headlight flickering.
Also, this time I blew a head fuse.

So back to the original problem.

I think I have a short somewhere, how to find it!!!

I tested both rectifiers and all diodes ok. No shorts there.
I tested a stator for shorts and ohms. No shorts, all coils 0.5ohm.

What else I could test before I rip the whole harness apart!!!

I'd test sequentially - as Marty suggested Looking for excess draw: probably related

On the 650, the auto-on headlight relay started with the '78 model. The '78 was also the last year to have a headlight on-off switch on the right handlebar control. It was eliminated in '79 and on all later models. But, the '78 switch was severely hampered by that auto-on relay. It only worked with the key on and the engine not running. Once you started the motor, that safety auto-on relay kicked in and turned the headlight on, regardless of what position the on-off switch was in. Rather silly set-up in my eyes, lol, so I "fixed" it.

Not familiar with these .But remember reading that Honda Fireblades have this auto on light possibility
If Light is turned on and you turn on the key lights comes up.
But they want a small battery Saving weight So upon pushing the starter button I believe the lights are turned off as long as the starter button is pushed .Saving power for the starting of the bike.
When startup and the button released the lights comes on . Sometimes there is a problem and they don't turn on Lights even when bike is running and button released
'
The problem lies in the button that needs to be serviced
Again I don't know XS750 setup But I would look into the buttons and relays and connectors in that circuit.

I would start with the light switch I once had a lot of insects inside. On The blinker side.

I serviced the switch it's clear.

If the light would stay on ( constant ) and not flicker in the frequency of the RPM I would not worry about it.
Also, during my last test, a headlight fuse blew up. So clearly something is wrong.

I've seen a couple of videos of XS750, bikes had headlights completely off when running.

It could be my fault. I built a new battery box and had to extend some of the wires to fit in the new places. I need to rip everything off and check it again. I am very surprised though as I paid huge attention to what I was doing.

If it is a faulty harness somewhere or I connected something where I was not supposed to, it had to be around R/R or Stator as like I said the flickering headlight is in the frequency of RPM. Well, it could be anything actually.

I don't know. I am sad.

No Need to worry about today's problems to much there will be new fresh ones tomorrow
There is something to work on

a headlight fuse blew up

Do you have a Wiring Schematic we can look at

EDIT
Does anything else flicker like the rear lights or pilot lamps

Last edited:
No Need to worry about today's problems to much there will be new fresh ones tomorrow
There is something to work on

a headlight fuse blew up

Do you have a Wiring Schematic we can look at

EDIT
Does anything else flicker like the rear lights or pilot lamps

I am leaving for 3 weeks so I take a break from the bike. When I come back I will have a new sealed acid battery.
Something destroyed my lithium battery, not sure if the problem with my bike or my tender. Any way. I will also get a better R/R to support my LEDs. I will recheck the wiring and measure everything one more time to get the report for you :)

RE: Does anything else flicker like the rear lights or pilot lamps.
Only the Headlight flickering.

BTW: one of the XS750 1979 owners ( on YouTube) just confirmed that the headlight is completely off until you turn it on on the right-hand side switch.
That's the guy:

Thank you

OK got it
Suits me fine a couple of weeks pause an Idiot is trying to haul me to Court

Since it is only the front light and not the rear. Should be on the same circuit power feed
And the fuse is Blown Then the line to look into is the upside to front light with branches

I would inspect and service the lamp holder first rust ..grounding ?

Back