XS750 Starter Motor Power Draw

750triples

1979 XS 750
Reaction score
I’ve noticed that no matter the battery, even if it’s being boosted, this thing really doesn’t like starting when I use the starter. I was wondering if that’s a result of bad coils, (this model doesn’t run on points) or if it’s just because old starter systems weren’t designed great. Keep in mind it’s getting chilly where I am, around 10 degrees when I try starting it.

I’ve noticed that no matter the battery, even if it’s being boosted, this thing really doesn’t like starting when I use the starter. I was wondering if that’s a result of bad coils, (this model doesn’t run on points) or if it’s just because old starter systems weren’t designed great. Keep in mind it’s getting chilly where I am, around 10 degrees when I try starting it.
I need to test that out. My XS650SK (65,000 miles) won't cold start with the electric leg. It will however start on one kick after sitting for two months. The electric start works fine once the engine is warm. I think I should start by pulling the starter and cleaning the commutator and replacing the brushes if necessary. It can't hurt.
I have a XS650SH with 9K miles on it. The electric start fires it up instantly, warm or cold.

Back