XSive

inxs

xx
Reaction score
- was scratching around in the shed last weekend trying to make some space to store kids outdoor toys over winter...the fire breathing dragon cut me off til it was done - and came across a whole heap of parts id forgotten to remember to remind myself about...anyway it looked almost enough to throw together a half decent looking bike

- then i got to thinking how nice it would be to be let loose inside a yammie warehouse with the task to produce an XS from any original XS parts and had to ask myself what i would choose and why

- later frame...for handling
- earlier swing arm (slightly shorter i believe)...handling
- longest rear shocks(from 447)...handling
- 35mm forks...stronger
- high profile alu rims, wire spoked 19" front 18" rear...looks
- drum brakes front and rear...looks
- XS1 front guard, special short rear guard...looks(would like painted black)
- black painted chain guard...looks
- large headlight-black...looks
- early separated gauges...looks
- flattest bars i can find...preference
- XS1 tank and side covers...looks
- XS1 seat and grab rail...optic
- XS1 head...has needle bearings in ign shaft and 4 triangular valve insp vents
- XS1 sump oil filter...stronger
- XS1 clutch push rod...1 piece
- XS1 crankcases...no electric start so larger oil capacity
- 533 crank and piston...smoother and better bottom end oil feed
- late model sprung 6 plate clutch...better
- Special pipes...looks
- BS38 carbs
- RHS cover with oil sight glass...optic
- late model air filters...better
- pre '73 main stand...stronger
- later cam chain guide...simpler

...im sure ive left some out...then if given free range on modifying?
...when i took a second look, most of this list was there and its winter...fuck!

...the bicycles are still standing in the garden...

haha.. nice. Seems like you want the classic look with some of the newer things like frame and forks for handling since they won't really change the looks. As you know, that drum brake up front won't work as well as a disc, but it's definitely not as discrete as the frame and fork upgrade. Sounds like you have a bike to build.

- ha - yea - i can just hear the missus..."you threw together a mongrel machine out of bits just to attend the xs 30th anniversary celebrations last may, and its still not finished - i asked you to paint your sons bedroom, how long did it take - the heater in the car hasnt been fixed and now its winter - you were going to fix the roof over the patio, when? all you want to do is hide away and get your hands dirty"...hmmm - what a nice idea

- she will conveniently forget that i had to fix the toilet, rewire the garden, cut the ivy, do the garden, build bicycles for the kids, paint the window frames, fix the house and water heater, build a bed........

...most likely i will find a different corner to decorate - this winter

With a wife and 3 kids running around, I had to build an xs totally in secret once, whenever I managed to finish work early I would go to my friends workshop for an hour or so, suprising just how much you can get done in a short space of time.
The tricky bit was bringing it home, but its all finished then so what can she do!!!!

Inxs I just read a post you put up on carbs.That was some good shit.I was looking on here to find out about bs 34 mm carbs.I have a 78 kz 1000 and I was putting on gs 1100 bs34mm carbs .Are the jets the same in the 650 as the 1100 just more carbs?but I had to join just to let you know that was great work

- im sure the guys who actually wrote it will be happy-i pulled it off the garage for my personal XS file, and as written, feel free to spread the word just dont sell it

- i think youll find that GS1100 are jetted a little lower - somewhere between 107,5 and 115,0 whereas XS650s 3L1 are jetted at 132,5 standard

Last edited:
Back