Yam_Tech314's official build thread

Those almost look like freeze fractures... filled with water and froze...
Very common, I've seen at least 10-or 15 just like that.
My guess is stress fractures, vibration and heat cycling / expansion contraction of the air inside.
Why I ALWAYS hot water dip floats on overhauls. Maybe it's an up Nort thing?
cracked floats (2).JPG

It's very thin shhet brass subjected to a deep draw forming process.
https://www.thomasnet.com/articles/custom-manufacturing-fabricating/deep-drawing-brass/
Disadvantages Of Deep Drawing Brass;
Stress cracking: Brass is more susceptible to stress corrosion cracking (also called season cracking) than other metals.
One might conjecture that a float made of two equal halves, soldered in the middle might have been better than a cup and cap design, reducing the draw depth by nearly 50%. Also would place the heavy solder joint in line with the support bracket instead of cantilevered reducing stress loads.
There will be as many as 7 or 8 cracks all the way around the float.

Last edited:
Wonderful information as always. I figured that was the case... I went against the grain and already installed washers and o rings that I already had layin' around. They were the same diameter as the spring so I sent it...

Now to find me those nifty barbed fittings and buy a decent set of sync gauges.
I think I use a fitting like this after removing the block off screw. Nice and cheap. And you might need a flow restricter (smaller diameter orifice somewhere in the vacuum line) to stabilize guage readings.
1712266847807.png

Yes, this float failed the dip test after cleaning .....

Float&BowlDirty.jpg

I'm glad I discovered that the BS38 floats are a common, readily available Mikunl part, and cheap too, lol.

I do run the no alcohol gas in all my bikes, lawn mower and snow blower too. This carb came from my $25 XS500, lol. No idea how long it was sitting, but the carbs cleaned up nice and with enough replacement parts, work fine now .....

XS500-2.jpg

Carbs.jpg

ReadyToMount.jpg

Mounted3.jpg

Holy cow! I've seen worse though... I'd love to have a smaller ultra sonic cleaner and a soda blasting set up... My restoration game would be NEXT LEVEL. Perhaps water did get in and freeze fracture the floats... It was a COLD winter this year and poor yammie has been forced to outdoor (awning) storage... It's far less than ideal but I had to give up the garage when I moved.

I got the new ones in and I now have an opportunity to use my float height tool for the first time. Gonna make sure they are sat in a level position and see where theyre at. The carb work is gonna get done right once and for all this time. Over the time I've had this bike I've had them apart three times... Ethanol free gas from now on, and never letting them sit with any fuel in em again...

The carb work is gonna get done right once and for all this time. Over the time I've had this bike I've had them apart three times... Ethanol free gas from now on, and never letting them sit with any fuel in em again...
Sure thing “Yamtech” you’re lack of skill and follow thru has a long history now

Sure thing “Yamtech” you’re lack of skill and follow thru has a long history now
It sure does. Life gets busy and Ive made very little money in the last decade. As the username suggests, I'm a tech. I worked at a dealership that had no one with any real kind of experience to learn from.

There isn't a lack of skill. Just a lack of experience. Can't imagine you've ever made any kind of mistakes in your life.

Many many mistakes..but I’ve also completed and sold 3 XS projects since the time you started dismantling your 76 over the years.
Quit bull shitting on your keyboard and get that bitch running.
FYI, You don’t have to buy a carb sync, eyeball the butterflies in the sunshine and it will be so close you’ll not know the difference.

That really weren't called for. He went to school for bikes and spent the last couple years working as a "yamtech" in a dealership.... so it seems to me a pretty good nom de guerre.... no?

My "follow through" on the SG resto took about 2yrs. I'd have to go look, but I don't recall ever bein' called out for lack of follow through in all that time. Knowin' me... I'da just told 'em to fuck off if they had. And to be fair, he has brought a few survivors back from the dead in that time. Counts for sumpin, right?

...and I don't think I'd be callin' people out from lack of skill if I was freshly off of installing my cam backwards. But then, unless someone was bein' an absolute dick, I prolly wouldn't call 'em out in the first place.

We're all here to help and support each other, not be a trollish dick. At least it seems to me you've gotten plenty of that on you latest build thread.

Men & Motorcycles… and I get in trouble again.
Fill out a “hurt feelings” report on me in my folder

It sure does. Life gets busy and Ive made very little money in the last decade. As the username suggests, I'm a tech. I worked at a dealership that had no one with any real kind of experience to learn from.

There isn't a lack of skill. Just a lack of experience. Can't imagine you've ever made any kind of mistakes in your life.
Don't worry man if he found out how long I've been working on mine he'd have a stroke. Keep learning and carry on.

Yamtech's restraint here is admirable!
other's indiscretion not so much.
Misery loves company. If someone wants to be a shithead they're free to do so, but it isn't gonna ruin my day.. I don't rely on the acceptance of others to determine my level of success in this lifetime.

I can agree on some things taking too long. 7+ years is probably a long time to complete a build for someone with money and time. (Likely retired) But as a 27 year old guy with a full-time job, no help from mommy and daddy, a shitty economy and a start at life that was less than ideal Id say I'm doing alright.

If someone needs to measure their success by comparing themselves to someone who's got way less life experience just to make themselves feel better then they have more problems than I've got time for. I'll keep trucking SLOWLY along and bumping off of my own mistakes along the way. I'm the only one that's gotta like what I got. No one else. My feelings aren't hurt in the slightest. Im happy as can be with my life. Clearly not everyone shares the same fortune.

I was running the bike tonight seeing how things were running after a fresh carb checkup... The float height is spot on, but it backfired so hard the carbs blew outta the boots 😂

I'm thinking the timing is too advanced. It was also running with no filters. The paper style filters may be the wrong way to go as I've seen many of you guys have success with the UNI foam filters.

As far as timing adjustment goes though, is it an acceptable practice to turn my timing plate while the engine is running? Anything I wanna avoid touching? Me and electricity do NOT get along. I made a pretty primitive timing light out of the recycled rear brake light to static time the engine way back when I first installed it in the frame... That got me within running specs. Now I need to find tune the timing to stop the carbs from blowing off haha. It started second kick with choke on, it smoked pretty good but likely due to it not being warmed up. Still fighting the same kinks I had since my first time through this.

I'm running stock pipes, and stock jetting in BS38s. With the lack of a stock air box there's a chance I'm running lean but the smoke and black plugs makes me think otherwise.

As far as timing adjustment goes though, is it an acceptable practice to turn my timing plate while the engine is running? Anything I wanna avoid touching? Me and electricity do NOT get along.

Although I have gotten away with it before... various Hondas and such and even an XS, it's generally not a good idea to adjust it while running. The ground path for the coil primary is across the points and to the points plate (I assume that's what you're referring to). From the plate, to the engine, then the frame and finally back to the battery. With the plate loose and the engine vibrations, you're not guaranteed a good ground path.... so you never know if a misfire is a self created problem.
Far as avoid touching... yeah, the plug leads. :wink2:
12v at the plate.. or anywhere on the bike for that matter, wont hurt you a bit.

You'll want a strobe timing light to check timing, not your homemade one. I'm 100% all for getting timing sorted before the carbs, but be aware, your problem with backfires isn't likely to be too advanced. You said you kick started it? If you're too advanced, you'll usually get kickbacks. And our XS' can give you bone jarring kickbacks.

You'll want a strobe timing light to check timing, not your homemade one. I'm 100% all for getting timing sorted before the carbs, but be aware, your problem with backfires isn't likely to be too advanced. You said you kick started it? If you're too advanced, you'll usually get kickbacks. And our XS' can give you bone jarring kickbacks.
Oh it definitely kicked me back tonight. I was kinda just under the impression that I wasn't kicking hard enough. Sounds like too advance may be the issue after all. Getting that right would be a good start. Once it's right I can move onto proper carb setup. But for that, I'll need to have my air filter choice sorted out. I bought the "cool looking" folded paper style pod filters from mikesXS or somewhere like that forever ago. Will it work? Yeah probably. But I'm sure there's a reason you guys like the foam ones better.

Back