Yamabond on Seals

NP2650

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I've read through a few treads on replacing seals, and for some seals it is recommended that a thin smear of Yamabond be used on the outer surface. What Yamabond is recommended here, Yamabond 4?

Yes, I believe that's the number. It's the gray colored non-hardening stuff. I have the Honda equivalent, same stuff .....

BoltSealer.jpg

PushrodSeal3.jpg

PushrodSeal4.jpg

I have some Threebond 1184 which I also believe is the same as well.

Yes, Three Bond actually makes the Hondabond and Yamabond.

I've never put any sort of sealer on any seal, never had a leak. Most seals have a rubber covering to help them seal and the the seal is always slightly larger than the hole . If the surface is compromised by scratches and gouges, then certainly, but if the surface is ok, I don't see the point.

Last edited:
I used to use it on the outside of Yamaha TT500 countershaft seals.

They had a bad habit of blowing out of the center case and puking all the oil out of the engine at random times, no matter how well you vented the engine.

The Yamabond added a little added grip and peace of mind, especially if you left a little bit of a ridge around the outside of the installed seal.

Honda CB350's do the same thing...the little clutch pushrod seal will pop out and void the engine of all of its oil with zero warning! Same fix, Yamabond or Hondabond around lip of seal and leave an outside ridge around seal.

Back