Yamaha Dealer

machstang

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Does anyone on the forums currently work for a Yamaha dealer? I recently purchased a titled XS650 but have been unable to track down the owner since I lost the bill of sale. NYS will not transfer the title without a bill of sale or unless I get a retail value appraisal by an authorized Yamaha dealer. I have called my local dealers but they seem unwilling to help unless I buying something new. If you may be able to help please PM me it would be greatly appreciated. I can provide further details of what is needed as well as photos of the bike in its current condition. Others have suggested writing my own bill of sale but I am trying to keep the paperwork legitimate.

The NYS DMV wont accept this as an appraisal. They will only accept one from a Yamaha dealer. It would be a shame to have to part this bike out.

Does anyone on the forums currently work for a Yamaha dealer? I recently purchased a titled XS650 but have been unable to track down the owner since I lost the bill of sale. NYS will not transfer the title without a bill of sale or unless I get a retail value appraisal by an authorized Yamaha dealer. I have called my local dealers but they seem unwilling to help unless I buying something new. If you may be able to help please PM me it would be greatly appreciated. I can provide further details of what is needed as well as photos of the bike in its current condition. Others have suggested writing my own bill of sale but I am trying to keep the paperwork legitimate.

Hi machstang,
that'll learn you to take better care of your paperwork, eh?
I'd say go to a local Yamaha dealer and make a deal on the most expensive new bike in the showroom, provided he takes your XS650 as a trade-in.
Get the dealer's offer in writing.
Then say "sorry, I can't afford those payments."

Did the PO fill out Title information with address? If so there is a process to send them a registered letter and if it is returned undeliverable that can serve as proof of sale. There is also a way to have your insurance company do the price of fair market value. NYS DMV is notorious for having under informed/lazy clerks in local offices. I've found that contacting Albany is the best way to get answers/actual help. I went through this sort of thing twice with them and both times someone in Albany had to intervene by calling local office on my behalf. What part of NY are you in? Your local state senator/assemblymen might also help.

Yes, the title is filled out properly. NJ title even has a sale price listed which was signed by the PO... You would think this would be good enough for the DMV. Albany sent me to the DTF the DTF said value is ultimately determined by the DMV. I was told bring tons of pictures to the DMV. When I went to their location in Newburg NY they told me the appraisal was required. I have a feeling even calling Albany will result in a different answer every time.

Blue book has valuations for even these old bikes....

As a side note the state of MO (or at least the office I was dealing with) wouldn't accept the K.B.B. instead they insisted on the N.A.D.A. which gives a higher value.

machstang if the PO gave you a bill of sale for XX amount, how is it not legitimate to rewrite another for the same amount? If contacted he would confirm the sale price without ever knowing it wasn't the EXACT bill of sale he signed.

I'm all about "just and fair", kudos to you for trying to live your life the same but sometimes you have to be a bit flexible.

Ahhhhh...NJ title, that always confuses NY DMV. I had a MA title for my father's car when he passed away and as soon as they saw an out of state form they balked. When I called Albany and got bumped up the chain with my complaints I got to a knowledgeable person that called local DMV and clarified to them their job and how to do it. It was annoying, but ultimately I have a title in my name. The key is to take lots of names down and write down everything they say so you can show a paper trail. I'm not saying the first phone call will solve it, but it can be done. Fight the man!!

Check the wording of that document. Are you sure it has to be a Yamaha dealer or can it be a state licensed motor vehicle dealer? If the latter you could get a used car dealer to do your papers, like the last dealer you bought a car from with words that you'd buy from him again next time.

Scott

You'se guys make me feel so lucky! Took 2 titles to DMV this spring, both out of state no bill of sale, 100 each for sales tax value, here's your titles "sir" Total for 2 titles with "never expire" antique plates $240

Yamaha dealer only. That's what my local DMV wants. I called Albany and no one has a clue. I even told them that the NJ state title meets all of NYs requirements for a bill of sale. I'm just going to back to the DMV and hopefully there will be someone there that will help. Otherwise at this point it looks like the dealers are unwilling.

Back