Yet another ring(s) orientation question

queenslegs

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I've got a set of 2 over pistons/rings from cruzinimage and for the life of my I can't see any markings on either side of any of them? Advice? I imagine someone here has installed a set of pistons/rings from this supplier. Thanks

I haven't seen the rings that come with their over-size piston kits, but I did recently install some of their stock replacement rings. They were kinda the same way. Only one of the rings was marked so of course, I faced that up. But usually, marked rings are done so because the face has a step or bevel and that needs to be faced a certain way. The unmarked ring seemed to be symmetrical, just a plain rectangle shaped profile, so I don't think it mattered which side faced up.

I'll ditto with 5Twins here. Unmarked usually means symetrical with straight sides. Some rings from back then had a slight 1/2° to 1 1/2° bevel. You'd need a flat surface and machinist's square with strong backround lighting to see that bevel. Those were installed with the wider part of the bevel facing up. The Tech section's 'XS rings' thread has some details on the ring profiles...

I typically default to this theory in my included image for installings rings without marks and bevels. Without marks as the other fellas said its straight forward. I haven't had issues but that doesn't mean it correct either.
Its about twist equalization both negative and positive. blah, blah
pis rings.jpg

Back