You never know what's around you!

Purplezinger

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
So earlier this week my neighbor walks over and says, "Did you know there's a motorcycle on the next street over" Well, there are a few bikes in our neighborhood so that's not all that unusual. He says "This one has the word Triumph on the back of the seat". Now I'm interested. My neighbor mows yards part-time and just started mowing this yard. He said "This bike looks new and the owner said it's a 1975". Now I'm really interested. Long story short, he takes me over to meet the guy. The bike is a 1975 Triumph Trident that looks like it just left the show room floor. He bought it at an estate sale 7 years ago, keeps it in his garage, rides it around the block once or twice each summer. In seven years he put 60 miles on it. OMG.

I'm gonna go with sickening. I'd be riding that thing every chance I got!

(Sorta like I do my XS, come to think of it...:bike: )

I couldn't believe it. It has just over 9000 miles on the odometer. The
Guy is a little older than me, maybe 75 or 80. He never put
tags on it, rides it around the block once or twice each summer,
early on Sunday mornings when there's no traffic. It started on the third kick..
The idle was a little ragged. Don't know if that was carbs or because it's a3 cyl.

Last edited:
I was at a swap meet earlier this year and was talking to a guy about his 750 Norton. I asked him how he likes it, does it ride good, and so on. He told me he doesn't know because he has never ridden it. I can't imagine having a bike and never riding it. I thought he should sell it to someone who could get some enjoyment out of it. Quite a shame, really.

That Trident is a museum piece (I'll bet Leno has one) If I was to stumble on a like machine I'd sell it to a collector and buy an FJ1200, an RD400, and a modern street/dirt thumper (many to choose from) to keep company with my XS ("the Comet"). I would ride one of my herd pretty much every day occasionally toolin' over to look at the pretty bikes in the museum.

It really is a museum piece. It's not Concours, but it's close enough that it could be. Next time I will try to get a picture.

Back