Your $30K Electric Harley is here!

Kinda gets skewered in the comments. I mostly agree.

What a hunk of "Dog Shit":poo: Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez must be on the board of directors at H-D. Green Deal?? This thing probably has a automatic masculinity remover and a built in GPS that takes you right over to the first women`s rest room.:cussing: And where the Hell are the exhaust pipes.:umm:

Some years ago, when I was commuting to work on a motorcycle , I took an interest in electric motorcycles, specifically Zero brand. I was intrigued by this relatively new technology and this was also at a time when the cost of gas had sky rocketed to over $4 per gallon and at the time we weren’t sure if that price had hit the ceiling yet.
So the idea of an electric vehicle also had the appeal of being very economical as a commuter vehicle.
402125DF-77A1-49FB-BDDB-B596B6B4CB84.jpeg

My commute was only 40 miles round trip which was well within normal range and I liked the idea of being able to simply plug it in when I was home , just using the included onboard 110 volt cord. In the end it was a combination of hurdles that made me lose interest in them.

One, was the lack of dedicated dealerships. There was only one place in town that sold them, it was a small used bike shop. I had read numerous stories , in different locations, of owners experiencing problems with the electronics on the bikes and since the stores selling these bikes usually had mechanics that were more experienced with IC engines and weren’t well trained in diagnosing electronic problems, their bikes would sometimes sit in dealerships for weeks or even months waiting to be repaired.

Add to that the purchase price of $13,000 to 18,000 and I began to see that it just wasn’t cost effective.

Not to mention that at that same time, $5,000 would buy you a Honda CR230, that achieved 90mpg when tested by one of the motorcycle mags at the time.
BAF05F39-A702-4751-8845-425879AF2AC9.jpeg

Suddenly electric motorcycles just didn’t seem ready for prime time yet.

Where do they think they will market this thing? Your typical Harley customer needs the vee twin look with lots of shiny bits(and loud pipes), anything else just doesn't fit the image. Imagine how out of place you would feel, with all the traditional "bad azz biker" riding gear, sitting on an electric motorcycle. Hard core Harley customers will probably snub it like they did the Buell and the V-rod.

The review I saw on the Live Wire, last week said it was $30 K, top speed of 95 mph range of 100 miles, 0-60 in 3.5 sec., low center of gravity, and separate lithium ion battery for the electronics. I seem to recall that when first introduced, the XS's were touted for their overhead cam engines and the fact that they eliminated push rods of the English bikes they were modeled after. And less moving parts made for a more efficient engine. So, now there's no moving parts, except the shaft. Although I'm not a fan of these bikes at that price, and the sound of a motorcycle is another safety factor, this is not the only major company going electric. After GM recently announced plant closings, they said they were concentrating on their truck division and production of electric cars for the future. Welcome to the future. I just looked at the self driving Beamer video. Do you need a driver's licence for that? And what's next, automatic braking? Hang on! I guess they can simulate gas engine sounds through tiny speakers in a helmet, and even put vibration on demand in the seat. (I've heard the ladies like that.) :)

Looks like this one would bury thr livewire for less than half the cost. https://electrek.co/2019/01/17/lightning-electric-motorcycle-strike/

That’s pretty interesting. There is absolutely no doubt that electric bikes can have truly great performance. That kind of performance usually comes with a great expense. To get the kind of performance that they’re claiming at the price they’re throwing around now would be quite an accomplishment. But until the bike is produced and subjected to third party testing, all they are is claims and hype. My guess is, from what I’ve seen up to date, is something will give. They will either dumb the bike down and there goes performance or jack the cost up and there goes sales.
It’s kind of a no win scenarario for start ups.

Back