newbie probably dumbass pamco question

strang

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Got the Pamco High Output Electronic Ignition Kit and gonna try and install it this week.
Taking things out the box, it is supplied with two yellow ignition leads that need connectors crimped on to join to spark plug one end and the coil the other.
What kind of connectors do I need? I have one that doesn't fit and don't want to order the wrong ones. I think the one I have might be for a car - are car and motorcycle igniton leads different thicknesses?

Here's the type of connector I have and it doesn't fit:
http://www.thetoolboxshop.com/0-006-10-1-spark-plug-terminal-8236-p.asp

The pamco coil to lead is a threaded spike and so is the spark plug cap end.
Do I need an extra part? this kind of thing to screw over the threaded spike?:
http://www.partsforscooters.com/core/media/media.nl?id=33867&c=ACCT120207&h=bace50bc4e1543ab6460
sorry this is probably the most dumbass question but it's the first time I've ever done any kind of proper work on a motorcycle so bear with me.

No, you need no other parts or ends for the wires. Strip back about 1/8" of insulation off the wire ends and fan the wire strands out in a radial pattern like so .....

PlugWireEnd.jpg

Then simply "screw" the wire into the coil and the plug cap onto the wire. That wood screw looking "spike" will bore right into the center of the wire. I spread a little dielectric grease on the wire ends before screwing them in. If the coil has those screw-on plastic caps and little rubber rings to help retain the wires, slip the cap and rubber ring onto the wire before screwing it in. Slide the rubber ring up tight to the coil after installing the wire the screw the cap on. The cap pinches the rubber ring when tightened which pinches and helps hold the wire in.

strang,

You do not need any special connector. The yellow wire just screws onto the threaded spike that you saw in the wire "towers". Same deal for the spark plug caps. Look in the end of the cap where the wire goes and you will see the same threaded spikes. Just be sure to install the rubber boots before you screw in the wires.

Back