Let the Heritage go today...

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Sold an 82 a few weeks ago and left the ad on Craigslist for a while Guy called wanted a nice stock bike so I told him about the 83

83HS.jpg

He came and bought it today.

Aero 018.jpg

Nice guy, in the Military a buddy of his in Iraq really convinced him the XS650 is the bike to have. His first bike, he did the military 3 day safety course 18 months ago and is going to redo it before riding. I made him swear he would not cut it up!
Sad to see it go but I have ordered collector plates for my 70 and 79 standard. The 70 is a long term project but the 79 should be roadworthy soon.

Congratulatons. It's like paying it forward because the new owner will love that machine. My restored 80xs650 special is my first bike and I feel the love put into the restore and am that much more proud to ride it.

Yeah it's getting empty out there
70 stuck body at the painter collector plate
71 rolling chassis no title
73 complete runs no title
77 frame, title, all parts to complete
77 complete new factory paint title
79 standard. title collector plate
81 special working on title paperwork'
The race frame project
1100 Shadow Aero driver
Possible XS1100 tonight
Wife has a 750 Shadow.
Honda electric minimoto!
Racks, bins, rafters full of parts. 5 ish engines.
Van
Prius
Skid steer w toys
Farm-all H
I am down six? bikes and a pick up truck from last winter.
I turned down picking up a 5 bike deal last month
I think I am having withdrawal.
What a whack job.

Gary, what are collector plates? In Illinois you can get vintage plates. Legally you can then only drive the bike/car to a show or to a repair shop to be worked on.

Bike is sposed to look stock LOL! Can't be on the road in January, oh the horror! Pay for two years but the plates never expire and can be transferred to different bikes, you can buy as many collector plates as you want. vehicles at least 30 years old. Must own one current regular license plate vehicle. Adding Liability Insurance for them is about $35 a year a bike for me.

I haven't checked on the insurance cost yet if using vintage plate, but I don't think State Farm had a rate of $35 a year on a anything since the 50's! I think they are a 5 year plate here. 30 year old sounds the same. You can't ride in January? Gee that really is hard to deal with up there.

Yeah it's getting empty out there
70 stuck body at the painter collector plate
71 rolling chassis no title
73 complete runs no title
77 frame, title, all parts to complete
77 complete new factory paint title
79 standard. title collector plate
81 special working on title paperwork'
The race frame project
1100 Shadow Aero driver
Possible XS1100 tonight
Wife has a 750 Shadow.
Honda electric minimoto!
Racks, bins, rafters full of parts. 5 ish engines.
Van
Prius
Skid steer w toys
Farm-all H
I am down six? bikes and a pick up truck from last winter.
I turned down picking up a 5 bike deal last month
I think I am having withdrawal.
What a whack job.

This is the perfect self described list of open motorcycle repair projects to copy and send to my wife. The comparison to my (her) gargage could make me look reasonably sane. :yikes:

That buyer is a lucky dude. He essentially bought a brand new XS650 if he bought it from you!

If this guy is anything like me, he's already fallen in love with your bike. I took the safety course a couple years ago and my XS was/is my first bike. I don't think I'll ever part with it. I've ridden several different bikes but I feel most comfortable on my 78.

This is the perfect self described list of open motorcycle repair projects to copy and send to my wife. The comparison to my (her) gargage could make me look reasonably sane.
Funny! I used the same logic on my wife. When I went to look at the 5 bike deal, he had an easy 50 or 60 bikes, every one a "project". I said "see honey I'm not so bad."
:laughing:

Bike is sposed to look stock LOL! Can't be on the road in January, oh the horror! Pay for two years but the plates never expire and can be transferred to different bikes, you can buy as many collector plates as you want. vehicles at least 30 years old. Must own one current regular license plate vehicle. Adding Liability Insurance for them is about $35 a year a bike for me.

Here in NC we can ride on vintage/collector/antique plates year 'round, anywhere we want to go. Liability insurance is about 1/2 price provided you have another vehicle with regular tags and insurance. Now it is assumed that you only drive your antique/vintage/collector occasionally but there's really no means they can use to make sure you're in compliance. And they don't have to look stock unless the plate specifies antique.

We can also find an old license plate from the same year the vehicle was made and get that plate registered to that vehicle.

Back