Fuel requirements and additives

The bulk of gasoline is naptha, so I guess if you can get something in there that soaks up some of the non-VOC content and replace it with more VOC content then you could increase the specific caloric output of a load of fuel. I'd be happy to find something that would just make ethanol go away.

Another thread update.
Wonder of wonders! We now have "Ethanol Free" fuel out here!
Our Fredericksburg Express Lube gas station is dispensing 93 octane at $4.50/gallon.
They tell me that some racers from the Austin area come here and get 55 gal barrels filled...
ExpressLube03.jpg

Attachments

• ExpressLube01.jpg
    ExpressLube01.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 248
  • ExpressLube02.jpg
    ExpressLube02.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 203
There is a web site that lists a lot of the stations in Canada and the US that sell ethanol free fuel. Most is 91 octane.
I don't know how to add a link.
Lead was added not to lube valves but increase octane to reduce knock in the higher compression engines being developed back then. Even though the fuel producers knew lead was a toxic substance. They knew ethanol worked better but was way to expensive to use, lead was cheap.
Leo

Uhhm....do I see a Honda turn signal on your bike, two many?��

Haha, caught that, didja? You must be feeling better.

That bike was a $200 rescue from a confused kid. Really bad shape. Only wanted it for spare parts, but got it running and things snowballed from there. The fronts are Kaw, dug out of a local salvage yard. Couldn't find XS signals...

I've never had any trouble running the current gas in my 650. My BMWs ..... well, that's another story. So far it's good, but I know the floats will go bad eventually because of it.

THANKS TwoMany. Thought I knew all the local stations, but found a few more.

Hey, WER! Yeah, numerous updates in the last 2 months. I found a couple more near me I'll have to check out.
When viewing a state, click the 'details' for a station, see if it's still offering 'ethanol free'.
Apparently, it's a public database, so folks can update as necessary...

Well, whattyaknow. They've even got an APP. Search for "Pure Gas" in the playstore.
It gives you a list of stations, sorted by distance from you.
And, a map:

Pure-Gas.jpg

On a similar vein, anyone used these things and do they work as claimed?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORE-POWE...KE-SPEEDWAY-/270771437116?hash=item3f0b3c3e3c

THE SPITFIRE MULTISPARK UNIT FOR ANY TYPE OF MOTOR CYCLE
(MONO UNIT)
THIS SMALL UNIT SCREWS INTO THE SPARK PLUG LEAD ON ANY MOTOR CYCLE
ANY AGE OF MOTOR CYCLE
ANY TYPE OF PLUG LEAD WORKS WITH ANY SPARK PLUG
ANY TYPE OF IGNITION SYSTEM
COIL,MAG,FLY WHEEL,ELECTRONIC ANY TYPE

THE UNIT SPLITS THE PULSE AND GIVES 5 SPARKS INSTEAD OF 1 TO GIVE A LONGER BURN,THIS USES UP THE WASTED VAPOUR THAT IS NOT ALWAYS BURNT,THIS WILL GIVE YOU MORE POWER EASIER STARTING ANY BETTER MPG FIGURES
WORKS GREAT ON ANY 4 STROKE MACHINES
STOPS PLUGS FOWLING ON 2 STROKE MACHINES
WE ARE THE MANUFACTURERS YOU CANNOT BUY THIS ELSE WHERE OTHER THAN
AT ANY OF THE SHOWS WE TAKE A STAND AT KEMPTON STAFFORD ESSEN MOTOR SHOW NEC CLASSIC PARIS RETRO MOBILE NEC BIKE SHOW LUXEMBURG RACING SHOW
THIS UNIT WORKS
10 YEAR GUARANTEE 60 DAYS TO TEST IT FOR YOURSELF ON A MONEY BACK GUARANTEE
THE BETTER THE SPARK THE BETTER YOUR ENGINE RUNS WE HAVE BEEN MAKING THESE FOR MORE THAN 16 YEARS
1 UNIT PER PLUG LEAD THANK YOU FOR READING

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    159.9 KB · Views: 174
For our Canadian friends, it might be worth mentioning that that Shell 91 is listed as ethanol free. It's what I fill with 95% of the time.

On a similar vein, anyone used these things and do they work as claimed?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MORE-POWE...KE-SPEEDWAY-/270771437116?hash=item3f0b3c3e3c

THE SPITFIRE MULTISPARK UNIT FOR ANY TYPE OF MOTOR CYCLE

At $15 USD, my suspicion is that it's just a "spark gap" device. Won't know until you cut one open.

Years ago, there was a similar JC Whitney gadget that would plug into your spark plug line, 'spark-thru-gap', 'fires-thru-oil' thing.

That gadget was like a trick we did to 'quick fix' a fouled 2-stroke plug (like during a race, no time to swap). Pull the plug cap up a bit, forcing the spark to jump a little gap (maybe 1/8"). This would eliminate the voltage ramp-up (that shorts thru the fouling). The plug would receive an instant 'hi-voltage' jolt, and arc thru the fouling, starting the engine, allowing it to burn off. Then push cap back on, off you go. Only took a few seconds.

Back