DIY Drag Pipes

dirtystanchez

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, I was at a crossroads when my mac 2-into-1 exhaust wouldn't clear my TCBros forwards. And the more I looked at it, the clearance the bike lost if I did run the mac would be a little more than I was comfortable with. Since I lowered my bike I didn't want to be rubbing the mac on anything. So....... I decided to make something out of the stock pipes for my 81.
I thought I would share my quick-n-dirty solution with all of you since I recently read some threads where other members were asking how to do it. One member told another that you can "slip" on a 1-1/2" I.D. pipe over cut stock pipes. Just as others found out, the stock pipes, at least on an 81+, are a little bigger O.D. than 1.5". Here's what I did....... pics included. Here's what I bought.

Oreilly Auto Parts:
2 x 1-3/4" I.D. tail pipe extension (18 inches long) $12
1 x 1-1/2" I.D. coupler. (1-1/2" I.D. on both ends) $3
1 x Rust-oleum High Heat paint (2000 F) $9

1. I cut the stock pipes 1-1/8" past the stock mounting bracket.
2. When you cut them, there is the outer ring left over. Grind the weld off and I used a good ol chisel and hammer to peel the outer ring off.
3. The 3rd pic shows the top one done and the bottom pipe just after cutting off the rear section.
4. Now cut the 1-1/2" I.D. coupler in half. This gives you two pieces about 3-1/2" long.
5. I used a 1-1/8" socket and with the help of my BFH, I drove it into one end of the coupler pieces which spreads the hole out to an exact fit to slide over the end of the cut stock pipes. Home-Brew pipe expander. :thumbsup:
6. See the Pic of both pipes cut, outer ring removed and the two couplers - now adapters - sitting on the floor.
7. The next pic is with both couplers on the ends of the pipes.
8. The next pic is with both 18" tail pipe extensions slipped on. The smaller end goes towards the front of the bike, and the flared end (1-3/4" I.D) is facing towards the rear of the bike. The non flared end of the 18" tail pipe extension is just right to slip over the unmolested end of the coupler.
8. The other pics are of how it looks when fitting pipes on the bike. And my blingin' side cover!! :D:D

I'm not finished yet........ I will weld the inner exhaust tube to the outer so that it won't rattle. Now that I have tight joints, I will weld each joint together, clean up, spray with the high heat paint, and wrap the pipes with exhaust heat wrap material from the mount all the way back. I'll angle cut the ends of the pipes as well.

Hope this helps out. It's just my version of what $25 can do for exhaust pipes. I think that it will work out well, if not, it's just $25 and some elbow grease lost.:D

Attachments

• Exhaust1.jpg
    Exhaust1.jpg
    310.9 KB · Views: 343
  • Exhaust2.jpg
    Exhaust2.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 277
  • Exhaust3.jpg
    Exhaust3.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 321
  • Exhaust4.jpg
    Exhaust4.jpg
    304.6 KB · Views: 253
  • Exhaust6.jpg
    Exhaust6.jpg
    298.7 KB · Views: 283
  • Exhaust7.jpg
    Exhaust7.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
More pics.........

Attachments

• Exhaust12.jpg
    Exhaust12.jpg
    306.8 KB · Views: 378
  • Exhaust11.jpg
    Exhaust11.jpg
    306.3 KB · Views: 295
  • Exhaust10.jpg
    Exhaust10.jpg
    308.3 KB · Views: 289
  • Exhaust9.jpg
    Exhaust9.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 388
  • Exhaust8.jpg
    Exhaust8.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 324
Funny I was just in the garage trying to figure out I how was going to do my exhaust. You just figured it out for me! Thanks man!!

Nice. I was just about to do the same type of exhaust, but hadn't quite figured out how to do it.
Thanks

I knew you were just using me. :D It's ok. I've been used before. :laugh:

I hope the pic helped you out.

Funny Cals....... I thought about buying yours but I had one tailpipe extension lying around and got to work. Yours were a little help, but I already had mine cut and assembled before you sent me the info I asked for. So not really highway robbery. LOL

Nice! The welding part worries me the most. I'm afraid the exhaust will tweek when I lay down the beads.

I hear that! I'm going to lay down shorter beads on opposite sides of each other and let them cool. Then I'll run the final beads. I think it should stay in place and if not, heat it up and give 'em a tug. When I tacked them up, the pipes wandered towards the bead but it was easy to level back out with the metal so hot. I'll post up some more pics tomorrow.

Only the formula of....
no exhaust + finish bike = home brew for $25.
No real formula was used at all. Just found myself in a bind and needed an exhaust to work things out.

The washer baffle is going to be included to help out with exhaust pressure.
This winter will include a more thought out exhaust.

Nice! The welding part worries me the most. I'm afraid the exhaust will tweek when I lay down the beads.

I laid down bead about 3/4" long. Did one bead, then one more on the opposite side. Let that pipe cool off.

Then the same on the other pipe. 2 beads, cool off. Then went back to the 1st pipe and repeat until all areas are welded.

I installed them and they are exactly as before. No "tweaking" at all.

Hope this helps.:thumbsup:

THanks man! I'm rewiring right now so as soon as I finish I'll get started on the exhaust.

Finished my wiring lastnight. I'll be picking up the materials later. Washer baffles!

Nice!! Hey where did you place the washer baffle? Yeah man have any Qs on wiring just PM me

Back