double lobe.........

oldbiker

oldbiker
Reaction score
hi guys ,,,i am getting a double lobe in my order,,,,, whats envolved in running a double lobe ,, what do i use and not use regards oldbiker

,,,,, ,,,, ,, ,,,,, ,,,,, ,,,,,, that,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sounds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,like,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,it,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,may,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,work,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, :laugh: ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

,,,, that's ,,,,about ,,,,what ,,,,,my ,,,,bike ,,,,,ran ,,,,,,like ,,,,,with ,,,,,one ,,,,fitted:laugh:

thanks guys,,, for your help,,,, i am getting in the same order from moikes... a .. 14-0901 as well as swingarm bushes and a couple of other things ... regards oldbiker

Mine ran great up to about 4500 revs then started missing! thought it was a fuel problem at first, someone else on here had the same problem as me.

the dual lobe worked pretty good for me, i did have a bit of a timing error though, you really do have to split the difference between the two cylinders to get it to work properly (timing light is a must)

Glad to hear that there are several people running the dual lobe cam on the ignition. I just got mine set up and have been fiddling with the timing to get it to run smooth. But I think I'm running into a problem with not being able to get it set right. Can someone verify my set up?

I dont have a timing light. I'm just trying to get it as close as possible by ear for now.

Hey, Snikare. Check out this thread, and its sub-threads (links), concerning the Advance Timing Unit (ATU):

http://www.xs650.com/forum/showthread.php?t=973

Then, examine yours for 2 possible scenarios.

First would be if the slotted disc could be reversed to get more advance. It's supposed to be installed with the alignment marks lined-up. But, some members have reported that theirs weren't symmetrical, so you might get a few degrees difference if it's flipped over.
View attachment 1275

Second would be if the slots and/or the flyweight ears (that fit into the slots) are so worn as to give you a retarded ignition.

Then again, if your camchain is severely stretched, that'll give you retarded timing...

Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like my marks are aligned. And everything moves properly. I may have to try that flop idea, if I just can't get them to line up right.

Those things are pieces of shit. My first one years ago worked. Sold bike. Second one was shit. Not even close on one side. Bought a pamco with e advance. Never go back.

If your timing chain isn't new, you may run out of adjustment on the backing plate before you get it timed right. On that single points cam, the lobes aren't as tall as the one on the original cam. That requires more backing plate rotation to get it timed. Even with a new chain, I barely had enough plate rotation to do it.

The single points set-up is a great concept, just poorly executed with the parts available. That MikesXS cam is poorly made and usually has mismatched lobes. There's no way to match the timing between cylinders without taking a file and wet stone to it (which I did). But the problems don't end there. The Yamaha points weren't designed to do double duty like this and wear very quickly when asked to do so. I ran mine for one summer then switched to the Pamco. I checked the timing before pulling the points out and it was off. Looking in my log book, I saw I had set it only 400 miles before. So, if you enjoy setting your timing every 500 miles or so, by all means, run the single points.

Back