74 engine sn number

Irish750

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey all,

I have been looking for some info on my engines serial number, I did some searching on the internet and found out that it should be in front of the crankcase on the right side by the motor mount. But all I see is the number "447" stamped on it, is this the serial number or should there be more?

Attachments

• 2011-12-05 20.48.22.jpg
    2011-12-05 20.48.22.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 296
The rest of the number should be there and might be hiding under that corrosion. A BRASS wire brush might reveal it or careful work with fine wet sandpaper like 320 grit. If not it's possible you have a factory replacement part crankcase which would not have been stamped. I have a Honda street bike frame like that, with no serial number.

cleaned it off a bit and there is no number on it except the 447, suits me fine. just use that as a serial number for the engine. thanks gary

You'll have either a factory replacement engine or crank cases, seen a few of these, they only have the first 3 digits, I think shop replacing the engine was supposed to stamp the rest.

Did you read the link. Scroll down to neil f's post. and mine under it. Common theme.

The factory replacements didn't have any numbers on them from what i have heard.

Back