Turbofarviknugn build'in sumfin'

TurboFarviknugn

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Well took the plunge, been looking around here for some time, getting ideas and chatting with the experience folks here and other noobs. I come from an AIR COOLED background all German VW. Built a pan off 1957 TURBO oval window bug, which got some magazine time in Hot Vw's. I sold off my custom painted and pin striped 82 Virago about 2 years ago and have been regretting it ever since.

Any way, found a SWEET deal in Drewbaby's 81 xs that was for sale here couple weeks back.

As bought A.jpg

It should arrive arrive here in Texas THIS Tuesday from Mississippi via U ship it.com

Just spent $900.00 on parts from TC Brothers. Plans are to hard tail it keeping the mags using it as a commuter to and from work.

More updates as the project progresses.

:smoke:

WAHOOOOOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just unloaded it from the shippers trailer !!! Took a little longer to get here than I wanted but for $285.00 to bring it to my garage from North Mississippi, CANT beat it with a stick. I HIGHLY recommend U SHIP IT.com (Just like e-bay but for shipping)

Think I'm gonna have to call in sick tomorrow, COUGH cough got the XS FLU !!!

THANKS to DrewBaby for the sweet deal !!!
MAN I AM STOKED !!!!!

Sweet. It was a smoking deal, no one could deny it. If it was within 3 hours of me it would have been mine, but was about a 6+ hour drive.

Well after collecting PARTS, and spending a couple hours cleaning the garage decided it was time to get to work on this thing.

19FEB2011A.jpg

19FEB2011B.jpg

Started disassembly of the bike to clean and paint it.

19FEB2011C.jpg

Made an engine stand I found on the inter-web, worked out SWEET bolted right in no problems at all !!

19FEB2011D.jpg

19FEB2011E.jpg

Then cut er up for the hard tail install

19FEB2011F.jpg

Then had to call it a night time to tuck in the kiddo for school tomorrow.

I am thinking about deleting this lower motor mount but still not sure, am thinking 4 mounts is enough.

19FEB2011G.JPG

Anyone have any input about removing it ?

I'd say go ahead and ditch the mount. Most custom frames don't use it, and there are 4 others.

Gotta add this though...

:bow: :rock: :bow2:
I"m a huge air cooled VW fan. My last was a '59 Standard Type1 resto-custom. Miss her...

Got some time in the garage beings it was a HOLIDAY today (Truth be told my kid had to go to school)

Mock'd and measured everything SEVERAL times got it all tacked up and ready to go get TIG welded.

Then decided to start mocking things up just to see what it eventually will look like.

20FEB2012A.jpg

20FEB2012C.jpg

20FEB2012E.jpg

What ya think, yeah I know another catalog bike build.:laugh:

Got more build time out in the garage tonight after receiving some goodies in the mail today.

Hoping to get EVERYTHING tack welded in place then dis-assemble and drop off at the weldersfor some tig'in while outta town. BTW those threaded tank bungs that Hugh sells are THE BOMB !!!!

Build A.jpg

Still got to figure out where to mount coil and fab rear fender supports, that should get done Sunday !!! :thumbsup:

You had me at aircooled VW, haha! I have a '63 bus and have had plenty of bugs in the past. Still looking for a '59 rag with OG paint.

we want updates!

I have a few extra parts that won't be used on my project, if you're interested. I'll make you a hell of a hometown deal/trade.

straight pull throttle, axed tank with petcock, and a few other odds that I've decided not to use.

and, since we're on a VW kick, here is a photo of the '60 semephore I built while in college a few months after I sold it. Learning to understand the VW engine and reading "How to Keep your VW alive" laid a pretty decent foundation for working on an XS project, I must say. Now, if I could just afford a bullet signal DD panel project. prices sure have gone up over the last few years:eek:

Attachments

• 318337.jpg
    318337.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 220
Was gone to Disney World for a week but back at it now. Still waiting on my frame to be welded by my buddy, but while its gone getting to work on other stuff that needs to be done. Tonight took my motor for a ride to the car wash for a de-greasing bath to prep it for paint, another 3+ hrs and it should be ready to shoot.

Last night did some powder coating on a bunch of smalls, man I LOVE having my own powder coating set up here at the house.

Smalls A.jpg

Smalls B.jpg

And yes I am restoring a set of plates still gotta do the hand lettering, thats just a little side stuff to generate $$$$ for the project.

While waiting on the frame return I got PLENTY to do !

:thumbsup:

GOOD LUCK finding an affordable DD Pannel they are getting to be like GIRAFFE PUSSY !!! (Way UP there !!!)

I do know some people IF you get serious about wanting one. :thumbsup:

As for the parts, I am pretty good for now. Someone sent me a PM about your stuff mistakenly, I was wondering what it was about. What tank you going to use now ?

I bought a tank from the classifieds and it turned out to be a different one than what was advertised. So, I ended up ordering the one I wanted, cleveland axed (in my build thread photo), from lowbrow and now have an alien tank collecting dust at my shop. It's a handsome tank just not my first choice.

turbo,
by chance, do you have an extra new head gasket you're willing to part with? I'm in need of a new one and all these shipping tabs are getting ridiculous, especially for one part orders.

Maybe we need to place joint orders from now on, eh?

avenue.

I will check, my bike came with a bunch of extra gaskets. Wont be until after work i got called in for an emergency on base at 8 pm now im stuck here until 4pm tomorrow.

Ill get back with you.

Back