Turbofarviknugn build'in sumfin'

oh, man! awesome!

I'm leaving town tomorrow AM but will be back next wednesday. Shop Night, and soon!

In other news, I just picked up some leather tools, some nice closed cell padding, and a shoulder's worth of leather for covering my seat pan. There's probably enough for a second solo seat, if you're interested.

No problem it isn't going anywhere, its yours !

On another note over the last several days, I managed to paint & polish the fins on my motor. Bought me a small harbor freight angle grinder and attachemnts it was pretty easy, but dirty work !

engine paint A.jpg

engine paint B.jpg

engine paint E.jpg

engine paint F.jpg

fin tools.jpg

:thumbsup:

Got my Tank, Fenders, Battery Box, Electrics Box all in primer over the weekend. More importantly picked up my frame from the welders tonight ! 2 rear blinker tabs to weld on and I can start to ready the frame for paint.

Pics to come. :doh:

WELL, my eyes are all healed up now.:yikes::yikes:

Sanded the frame down tonight dressed up a few welds then sprayed it with etching primer.

xs650 tig.jpg

xs650 Frame Etch Primer.jpg

xs650 all in etch.jpg

Now a few little spots of filler, and awaiting the arrival of the fed-ex guy with my fresh shipment of powder coat and high build primer.

MAY actually start spraying some color as soon as THIS WEEKEND ! :bike:

More sanding and priming, will the madness ever end ? On a side note got to meet avenue today, nice to put a face with a name. Hope to meet some of the ATX crew next.

^ If I can get this project put together, I'd like to make the cruise for a meetup in ATX. The DraftHouse Vintage Bike Night look like a good, mellow time.

Thank you, Turbo, for the head gasket. It is the last thing I needed to get the top end of my engine back together.

Been BUSY these last few days !

Got the frame in base & Clear, tank in base, tires removed from the rims cleaned and primed ready for base coat. I let the pictures do the talking.

xs650 frame & tank in basecoat.jpg

xs650 frame basecoat A.jpg

xs650 frame fucking bugs.jpg

xs650 progress.jpg

xs650 frame touches a.jpg

One question I have is rims have been stripped and primed for paint, should I lay a coat of clear on the bead area where the tire seats, I am thinking it would give a nice smooth area for the tire to seal.

BTW the paint wad applied with a 14.00 gravity spray gun from Harbor Freight, it actually sprays out nicely.

ONE STEP CLOSER :bike:

Got the rims and a few small parts in base coat and clear today after Easter festivities.

I will let the PICTURES do the talking ! And yes this is with my trust rusty Harbor Freight spray gun !

Attachments

• xs650 rims clear d.jpg
    xs650 rims clear d.jpg
    277.1 KB · Views: 152
  • xs650 rims clear c.jpg
    xs650 rims clear c.jpg
    225.3 KB · Views: 157
  • xs650 rims clear b.jpg
    xs650 rims clear b.jpg
    197.9 KB · Views: 174
  • xs650 rims clear a.jpg
    xs650 rims clear a.jpg
    305.5 KB · Views: 169
  • xs650 rims base.jpg
    xs650 rims base.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 155
Had to take last night off, due to an ill kiddo.

BUT tonight made some decent progress ! got the motor mounted in the frame, everything bolted right up EXCEPT one mount which I had to open the hole about 1/16". THEN got the new tapered berings, races and tripple trees installed. Tomorrow my new front tire should arrive, then I can get both new rubbers mounted.

xs650 re-assembly A.jpg

xs650 re-assembly B.jpg

:thumbsup:

Frame looks great!
Got a link to the gun you are using? I'm still debating on a spraymax 2K rattle can job or the duplicolor paint shop premixed lacquer and clear on my frame.
What paint system are you using?

Last edited:
Its the purple gravity fed gun from harbor freight think it cost like $12-14.00. I use only NASON base coat clear coat (which is DUPONT's house bread) for my paint work, its pretty forgiving and cheaper than DUPONT.

Just a word of warning DO NOT MIX regular rattle can paints with AUTOMOTIVE clears, usually it will react adversly usually bubbling up. IF you dont want to buy a spray gun or are not the proficient with one, GOOD paint supply houses can put ANYTHING they sell in rattle can for you, so you can get a good base coat / clear coat paint job fairly easily. Here in San Antonio the company I buy from (Gladwin Paint Co.) charges $7.00 for the can of course this is + what ever you want to put in it, think a pint makes 2-3 cans. usually ends up being like $15.00 a can.

Thanks ! Was begining to think no one was watching ! Btw do they still have the dragboat races up there on the lake ? I remember going to them back in 69 when i was in kindergarten.

Cool, thanks for the info.

If I go the rattle can route I'll def use auto grade paint. I'm fairly confident in my spray gun skills, and also confident that my POS compressor will supply water as well as air...

Got my new tires mounted up, SCREWED UP my front forks, mounted rear tire and fender so I could trim it for the chain now to get back to doing my paint the fender was what was holding up the paint project.

MARCHING ONWARD !!!!

xs650 new tires.jpg

xs650 bad forks.jpg

xs650 re-assembly D.jpg

Back