Out of Yamabond, any other brands your recommend

Before I started using Yamabond, I used Hylomar. It's a similar non-hardening type and works well.

Threebond is popular at auto shops, and works. Try NAPA if you have one. Still the best parts store for the guy who is deep inside a project, and not just changing bolt-on parts.

Threebond 1194 semi drying, hondabond HT non-acidic and won't corrode aluminium like other silicone gasket products or Hylomar

Permatex Ultra Black is pretty damn good. Used it on my American V-Twin (Kohler that is!) and has worked great for 2 summers. Had to split it to change Con rods. The Command Series twins are noted for little end failure. they are bearingless, so that's to be expected when running the crap out of it in Texas heat for 16 years.

Don't put it on with a concrete trowel and it shouldn't clog that filter in the bottom of our bikes. Even the OEM's use these sealants anymore, so that page seems like a bit of sensationalism to me. I personally use "the right stuff" on just about everything anymore. I love the can, because the next time I don't have a solid rubber thing that used to be a tube of sealant.

99% of people out there use Threebond 1194 (used to be 1104 but they reformulated to get rid of some of the more toxic bits). It's same as OEM Yamabond, Hondabond etc. so why mess around with other stuff?

I used a small paint brush to put it on my engine cases etc. Worked like a charm.

Only one reason: the can!

41PX016yh9L._SS500_.jpg

Seriously, the only thing that doesn't seem to cure in the tube for me. YMMV, but for me its a simple choice.

The Right Stuff seals ANY DAMN THING. It's spendy, but rocks. The bucket 'o goo for aviation use is the "approved" version of Threebond. It's good too. I suggested Ultra Black because it's what is in my '98 pickup with 218K on it, and it don't leak. It's what I go in with all the time, and is available at almost any parts store.

Just a rant here. Put sealer on by a dipping a Q-tip in the tube and spreading it on the sealing surface, you should be able to see aluminum through the sealant layer, thin is better. Squish out can be death to an engine. Nothing says amateur like orange sausages around engine gaskets. Usually a sign of mis-assembled parts underneath the cover, stripped threads and yes sometimes blocked oil passages.

I use one of those metal handled acid/flux brushes with the bristles cut down about half way to stiffen them a bit. Then I just "paint" the sealer on like Gary says, a very thin layer. Nothing says "rookie builder" to me more than gobs of sealer squeezing out all over the place. And the guys using silicone seem to be the worse offenders. "Silicone Bandits" I call them, lol.

Nothing says amateur like orange sausages around engine gaskets. Usually a sign of mis-assembled parts underneath the cover, stripped threads and yes sometimes blocked oil passages.

I'm learning this more than ever! I'm really glad I decided to go with a full rebuild of my engine because taking it apart has shown me that there were, of course, more issues than the PO described... I'm an amateur myself, but boy, that PO has ALL these symptoms :doh:

Back