Gearbox blues

Nicko

XS650 Member
Reaction score
HI thanks for any help you can give me with this one I have been going round in circles for a week.
I originally asked this question as part of another thread, but received only one reply and although welcome has not allowed me to continue rebuilding the engine.
I will attach a couple of pictures showing the small gear on the input shaft and the longtitudal marks across it.

My question is, is it safe to use and If so for roughly how many more miles as I don’t want to open the cases again any time soon.

I have tried to buy another gearbox and although plenty are available, they have the same marks on them and are being sold as good usable condition.
The other gears are all good with no signs of damage

as I have said any help greatly appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5814.jpeg
    IMG_5814.jpeg
    253.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_5815.jpeg
    IMG_5815.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 57
I'd use it and think it's normal condition

I am a nervous type and did see some marks in my gearbox. far less than this.
I bought a brand spanking new old stock gear wheel installed ---and sleep better for it.
It looks as little to much wear for my liking. It was a couple of years ago but significantly better gears was available at salvage in England
It depends on the the quality of the rebuild .
Can you ride with it yes you can .... And perhaps most would.. But i feel a replacement can be a better strategy If the parts are available at reasonable prices

There are other surfaces that can wear it looks as fairly high mileage better pictures could help

Not heard of problems with these boxes and not as much power.

But are we talking --- it for a good few thousand miles that is not much riding .

Thanks for the advice so far, I have checked other posts out regarding gearbox interchangeability and still a little unsure?
if I can get hold of a later full gearbox (mine is a 1974 447 engine) will it work in my engine

I am not sure .
You can have a look in the online parts catalogues and compare part Numbers
Someone will chime in

Back